Thread: Felder AD 531 J/P fence not staying at 90

Felder AD 531 J/P fence not staying at 90

I recently upgraded my Hammer A3-31 with straight blades to a Felder AD 531 with a spiral cutter head. The spiral cutter head is amazing, but may not be the best for my ongoing grain reading education. (no tear out)
    In any case, one of my issues with the Hammer was the fact the the jointer fence would not stay at 90 for edge jointing operations. I hoped that this would be rectified with the Felder J/P, but this is not the case. I'm thinking there may be some operator issues here, but would like to hear from your experiences. Currently I check and adjust the fence before moving to edge jointing. Once I set this it usually does not go out of alignment for a few passes.

Is it operator error? Fact of life with this machine?
    Last edited by Adam Levitt; 04-18-2017 at 9:42 AM.

My A3-31 doesn't go out of calibration, nor should the Felder.

I presume you're locking it down properly?

regards, Rod.

Once set it shouldn't change - neither on the Hammer or Felder as Rod states. Never been an issue on my C3 which is the same as the A3

There's not very much to lock down, just one lever. I'll pay more attention going forward and see if that was the issue.
    Thanks for the reply.

I've noticed the fence on my C3-31 gets knocked out of square after I've moved it on/off several times. I suspect I'm just being too rough and bumping it as I set it down, etc. So, you're not crazy

Unless you frequently set the fence to something other than 90, you might want to just really crank down on the locking handle, be super careful moving it, and try to exert the minimum pressure on it while using it.

Dan, I've noticed on the C3 unless both the table saw and jointer extrusions that hold the combination fence are precisely set to the same depth below the table then the fence needs to be adjusted when switching from one to the other. My saw extrusion was too low and not parallel to the table surface. Fairly easy to adjust. I believe its supposed to be 17 mm throughout