Thread: Oneway Coring Problem

Oneway Coring Problem

My 9 inch and my 11 inch coring knives work like a dream but my 13" knife binds and it gets difficult to feed the support finger in. The deeper I get, the more problematic this becomes, and I have to widen the cut to finish the coring. Major pain! Any suggestions?

Trevor,
    Are you sure you are keeping your core size between the standards set by Oneway. I only get binding when I get too close to the max or minimum core size for a particular blade. By the way, the cutter on the larger diameter blades require more frequent sharpening than the ones on the smaller diameter cutters.

I'm close, but the knives are supposed to work plus or minus 2 inches of their recommended radius and I'm within that.

Not sure what is going on, but if you get much to either side of the main radius, the curves of the support fingers are made for only one size, and you do have to open it up a bit. Kind of a square peg in a round hole thing... Try one on exact center of the radius, and if it works no problem, then you are off to the side a bit much...

robo hippy

Check the height of the cutter and the support arm. If they're too high (or too low) they'll bind.

This. The height is more likely the cause.

RP

I had the same problem and it turned out to be a bent blade. OneWay straightened it and it works fine now.

OOPS. I had the cutter set a good 5/8" lower than centre. Upgraded to a Oneway lathe recently and probably didn't adjust this knife. Will be coring again in a few weeks and will find out for sure, but that is very likely the problem.
    thanks everyone,
    trevor

Blog Entries
    That would do it .If you pull it back to a larger diameter it would work again . They are sensitive to height and depth . Every problem ive had was a head slapper so don't feel bad . Congrats on new lathe .