Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to RDWorks... is there something better?

Alternatives to RDWorks... is there something better?

As the title suggests, what other software is available to replace RDWorks?

Reading through the forums and posts, I can see a lot of posts about issues with RDWorks... Are there alternatives that work better with Corel?

The reason I ask:

I have had the priveledge of working with Aspire4.5 from Vectrix and Mach3 mill for my old cnc router ( sold it... took up too much space ) and I think that software may have been a better match, BUT... I have not had the opportunity to try, since I sold it all...

Has anyone ever had this software and tried it?
    Last edited by Pieter Swart; 04-20-2017 at 5:45 AM. Reason: additional info

I'm not aware of any alternative software that works with the Ruida controller. Leetro/Lasercut 5.3 is worse in my opinion.
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

There is a new open source solution to use with an Arduino controller AND it's in ENGLISH!!!

But, you have to be willing to learn to burn the program to the Arduino. I don't have enough time as of yet but my guess someone will start selling them in ready form. I don't like LaserCut either but there is so many settings that it takes care of that I cannot imagine the switch being easy.
    Chinese 6040 by NiceCut. Originally 60 Watt upgraded to 150 Watt.....I thought I had pretty much every problem in the book of laser cutting. It turns out that there is a set of books.

My educated guess why there is not a better option for the Chinese machine boards, or an inexpensive controller board produced commercially? The Chinese companies will steal it, screw it up, and you would find them all over ebay in a week.
    Azzy's Design Works

Thunder Laser Nova35 100w, 45 W Full Spectrum Gen5 heavily modified
    Roland VersaUV LEF-20 printer

My software is PHCad/Lasersoft, and based on screenshots I've seen of RDworks, Lasercut and others, they're all pretty much the same...

What I figured out in very short order, is that Lasersoft is good for ONLY one thing, sending the job to the machine. Maybe 2 things, it's actually pretty good at changing a grayscale photo into a halftone bitmap.

Aside from that, there's nothing resembling 'efficient' editing in Lasersoft.

Because of that, virtually everything I engrave in my Triumph is made ready to engrave with my other software, and ultimately Corel since it has the export plugin... Colors, sizes, part and engraving positions in the machine, everything. Once the job is ready, I dump it into Lasersoft, make sure everything paints correctly (important), and othewise looks good, then I choose my settings and engrave.

the absolute only editing I do whatsoever in lasersoft is MOVE something. But even then, I'll usually go back to Corel and do it, and re-export the job.

Just burn it into your brain that RDworks is nothing more than the print server for the laser. Because that's all these programs are good for IMO.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

What issues are you reading.

I find RDworks does what it's designed to do. It sends a .DXF or .ai file to the laser.

It's in no way shape or form a designing tool.

I'm probably the only one here but I design all my files in a program called VinylMaster. It's something I've used for a few years in my sign business. I export as a .ai file and bring it into RDworks. I set up cut and scan colors and away it goes.

It just takes practice.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

7. Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Shawa View Post
    There is a new open source solution to use with an Arduino controller AND it's in ENGLISH!!!

But, you have to be willing to learn to burn the program to the Arduino. I don't have enough time as of yet but my guess someone will start selling them in ready form. I don't like LaserCut either but there is so many settings that it takes care of that I cannot imagine the switch being easy.
    does the arduino interface or replace the ruida controller? I've got a bunch a various arduinos here and writing to them is not difficult once you are setup properly.
    - G460 60w CO2 Laser Engraving Machine
    - Pretty much every power tool you'd expect to find in a woodworking shop

Blog Entries
    Totally agree with Kev and Jeff. I read, and played with RDworks trying to do a few graphics. Totally useless. I design in CorelDraw. RDworks is used to maybe size and rotate items, and to select layers. Yeah, I could do better in corel to insure colors are proper for RDworks, but I'm lazy most of the time and do it in RDworks as I have to insure power is right also. That is about as far as design goes. I'd LOVE a plugin for CorelDraw that would just printserver to the laser, but that isn't happening I don't think.
    Spend the $ and get Corel.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Unfortunately you have to stick with the software that is compatible with your controller board, as the other members already pointed out. I personally think that RDWorks and RDCam are by far the most usable programs for Chinese controllers out there. I had to work with both LaserCut (Leetro) and LaserSoft (Triumph) for a short period of time and both of those confused me more than they should have. Maybe you have to get used to a way to do things for each of those, but once you have accustomed yourself I personally think they do the job properly. Of course editing is not a strong point of those programs, I use Corel as well.

There are other options to swap out the controller with an Arduino or similar, that however is more a solution for people who want to fiddle with ther machines and enjoy tweaking rather than working. A few friends of mine have a laser running with their own programs and it works, but it is not as easy and comfortable (yet).
    GCC Spirit 40W
    Shenhui G350, 50W
    Experienced with servicing old and current Epilog Laser systems and older Universal Laser systems

I know some of the boys over at https://www.facebook.com/groups/900528680076062/ are taking a run at improving the RD Works code. Interesting project but they're way above me on that stuff. They are asking for suggestions as to what needs to be reworked or added. Great community to be a part of.

Blog Entries
    I looked at his video yesterday. I don't need another vector graphics program. And that is what he is trying to develop. It might work, but it won't really be any 'better' for me as I don't design in RDWorks and anyone who tries is doomed to very basic and taxing future. Doomed I say, Doomed!
    I made comment that what I need is a better interface with the laser. More of a print driver, and he won't go there. So, while I hope he comes up with something, don't hold your breath. Buy Coreldraw, design with it and just use RdWorks as interface using just the minimal you need to. I believe you've then used your time most wisely.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

What Chinese laser engineers need to do is quit trying to re-invent Corel and just develop a simple print driver like most everyone else does...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

One of my Chinese lasers uses software called PowerCut, there doesn't seem much information about it, but I find it much, much better than RDWorks which I have on another machine. I'm pretty sure it will only work with the controller in my machine though.
    Shenhui SG350 fitted with a 60w tube.
    Aeon Nova 10 100w tube.
    Aeon Mira 5030 30w RF tube.
    20w Fiber Laser.
    50w Fiber Laser.
    Located in the Isle of Man, which isn't in the UK but almost surrounded by it.

I found a site that took Rd Works version 8 and turned it into an "ENGLISH" software. the corrected a few errors and made it a little ( emphasis on little ) easier to learn and understand.
    Its a Laserworks version 8 offered by Makerspace New Zealand. if you google them it will come up. I used it for a week and it works a little easier.
    Kehui 100w 900x600 with adjustable z axis table,
    3 jaw chuck rotary
    CW 5000 water chiller

English version RdWorks V8.01.28, ( newest version )
    Windows 7 & 10
    Corel Suite X8

30w Fiber Laser with Raycus power source
    rotary and other fun toys I know nothing about yet...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter Swart View Post
    I found a site that took Rd Works version 8 and turned it into an "ENGLISH" software. the corrected a few errors and made it a little ( emphasis on little ) easier to learn and understand.
    Its a Laserworks version 8 offered by Makerspace New Zealand. if you google them it will come up. I used it for a week and it works a little easier.
    That site also has a link to a series of videos that give a really good look at how to use RD Works-including some quite advanced techniques for using it. https://youtu.be/qEThB_5C2zk?list=PL...KrDY654vuZ8ed1