Thread: Straight Router Bit

Straight Router Bit

Hello, My straight 3/4 inch router bit is getting tired. I finisheshed my last project and realized I need a new bit. This was a cheapo and not worth sharpening. I have been buying Katana bits from MLCS. I have been very happy with the quality of these bits. I am looking to get a nice cutting long lasting bit. Anyone found a great line of bits that is under the radar. Theses bits must hold an edge as I do a lot of Birdseye Maple and other figured woods. All suggestions welcome.
    Thanks in advance, Kevin

One word Whitside!
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

My Whiteside and Freud carbide bits with 1/2" shank work very well and have been through several sharpenings over the years. I am sure there are others, but those two brands have consistently worked well for me since the early-mid 1980's.
    David

I have been using Southeast bits from these folks for several years and have been very happy with them.

https://www.usroutertools.com/cnc-router-bits-s/33.htm

Robert

Blog Entries
    With router bits you get what you pay for. I've never had a single complaint with Freud router bits.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    First choice - Whiteside, second choice - Freud. Both have always provided excellent results with Whiteside remaining usable longer between sharpenings. If you use your 3/4" bit for 3/4" precise things, sharpening will make it undersize. I have a collection of sharp undersize straight bits that are still quite useful and Whiteside's sharpening is quite reasonable. A flat rate box full of dull bits makes the cost of resharpening shrink even further.

Whiteside can be had at good prices and free shipping from Hartville. Carbide Processors has sales on Whiteside and Southeast on a recurring basis and offer a discount to Creekers IIRC. Holbren has always been good to the Creek and I have bought a load of Whiteside from him in the past with a discount code for Creekers that I do not recall (anyone?).
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 04-19-2017 at 8:28 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Vortex - Carbide Processors sells them

If you can stomach the cost, and you use the bit frequently - as it appears you do - consider treating yourself to one of the Whiteside flush trim compression spiral bits. These are fantastic at resisting burning and tear out.

Another vote for Whiteside. They are really good.

If you can tolerate a 1/2" tool, I'd recommend solid carbide.
    It will last much longer than brazed-on.
    & if you can tolerate insert tooling the inserts will last as long as solid carbide.
    Moreover, you can get a 3/4"D tool.

I have a few Katana straight bits and found the comparable ones from Amana stayed sharper longer...though they did cost a little more.

I use Whiteside, Freud, and the Woodcraft brand, and they all seem to work well. That said, I rarely use a straight bit in favor of spiral bits.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.