Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tablesaw ripping issue

Tablesaw ripping issue

Hi all...I'm having an issue that I assume is user error but I don't really know what I could be doing wrong.

I've got a 3HP SawStop. Love the saw from a power, fit/finish, quality of components perspective. I'm having some issues with things binding as I rip sheet goods or other long pieces. Pieces tend to bind half way through; to the point that I've had to turn off the saw and wrestle the piece loose. I've tried both the splitter and the riving knife/dust collection hood thing.

I took the fence and aligned it with the T grove and it runs out a few mm on the far end...IE when you align it on the track, you can see a bit of the table on the far end of the saw. Well under half a centimeter, but you can see it with your naked eye. So I guess my question is am I somehow feeding the material incorrectly into the saw, or is that little bit of misalignment most likely causing the issue? I just assumed it was right out of the box (however it was aligned was how it was supposed to be); is "perfectly square" the goal with the fence, or is it supposed to run out just a touch to give you some clearance as you come through the blade?

Apologies if this is a stupid question. But I'm sure ya'll know A LOT more about this than I do!

Blog Entries
    By most reports, they are perfectly set up right out of the box. Mine was. If your fence is perfectly aligned with the miter slot, then you need to check the blade alignment with the miter slots. Another possibility; are you using a thin kerf blade? That'll do it, unless you switch to a thin riving knife.

Sounds like you may need to fine tune the adjustments on the table, fence, and the riving knife/splitter mount.

First make sure that the table grooves are parallel to the blade. You can use a piece of wood clamped to the miter gauge and crosscut the tip off using just the front edge of the blade. With the saw off, compare the gap between the end of the wood and the blade (blade at full height) using shims to gauge if needed. If you need to correct this, it involves loosening the table-to-base bolts slightly and tapping it to pivot into place. The key it to make very small adjustments and keep one bolt tighter to act as a pivot point.

For the fence, think in "under a mm out" rather than under a cm. It should be further from the blade at the back, just slightly - like under a mm.

The riving knife is adjustable side-to-side, so make sure it doesn't sit too close to the fence compared to the blade. The manual should have info on this.

And definitely, if the riving knife is thicker than the blade kerf, it will bind up.
    JR

What blade are you using?

The riving knife is the thickness of a normal kerf blade. If you are using a slightly undersized kerf blade, you will notice binding. I had to grind my riving knife down.

If your fence is out by a few mm (3mm is 0.11 inch) it is way out of alignment. The tail end of the fence should only be a few thousandths of an inch or so toed out from the blade. This misalignment will definitely cause problems. Also, as the others above have mentioned, the splitter or riving knife must be thinner than the blade's kerf or the wood will bind on the splitter.

Also make sure that the riving knife is aligned with the blade perfectly. If it is not, it can definitely cause the binding you are experiencing. Basically you need to insure the riving knife you are using it slightly thinner than the blade, and that it is perfectly aligned behind the blade. If you take a board and clamp it to you miter gauge and crosscut it as mentioned above then not only check the distance to the back of the blade, but continue on and check the distance to the riving knife. You will want to do this from both sides of the knife to make sure its not sticking out on one side.

Best of luck!

I ran into the same problem when I changed out my fence with an Incra LS positioner. Turns out my fence was warped which was what caused the binding. I got a replacement fence and all was well. You should really check the fence with a dial gauge. Lock the fence a few inches from the miter slot and run a dial gauge along the miter slot, this will tell you if the fence is straight or not and should. This is also a good way to adjust the fence to toe out a few thousands towards the back end. A few mm is WAY too much.

Also, I've ran a Forrest thin kerf blade with the stock riving knife and blade guard on my SS without issues for over a year.

Lastly, should you need to make adjustments to align miter slot to blade, you shouldn't have to tap the tables to make that adjustment. You just loosen the table bolts and there are 4 smaller screws within the table you can either tighten or loosen to make the adjustments. This is one of the best features of the SS in my opinion and makes this kind of adjustment very accurate.

Huh, hadn't thought of that. This is a new problem, and I purchased a new blade recently. It was a 60 tooth Diablo blade from the HD. I also used a plywood blade that I've never used before, and had the same problem (it was in a box from my dad's shop).

The blade should be the same width as the riving knife, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    By most reports, they are perfectly set up right out of the box. Mine was. If your fence is perfectly aligned with the miter slot, then you need to check the blade alignment with the miter slots. Another possibility; are you using a thin kerf blade? That'll do it, unless you switch to a thin riving knife.

The mitre slot is what I'm talking about. Its slightly out of perfectly square, maybe a few mm out on the far end. I think the thin kerf blade is causing this problem, but that I also need to adjust the fence.

Thanks John. I think the cause of the problem is the splitter/blade kerf difference, but I also think I need to adjust the fence alignment.

Well, you can't adjust the miter slot so you'll have to align the blade to the slot, correct? Then align the fence.

Your RK is probably slightly thinner than a full kerf blade.

Quote Originally Posted by James Jayko View Post
    The mitre slot is what I'm talking about. Its slightly out of perfectly square, maybe a few mm out on the far end. I think the thin kerf blade is causing this problem, but that I also need to adjust the fence.
    Assuming your miter slots are cut perfectly parallel to each other (and odds are excellent they are), then you should check the following and in this order:
    (1) Adjust the miter slot to be perfectly parallel to your blade. You do this by bumping the table top around. This should be in your manual.
    (2) Now adjust your fence to be perfectly parallel to the miter slot. Some folks like to have the far end of the fence tipped away from the blade ~1/64" or ~0.5 mm or so. It is often best/easiest to insert a piece of wood (or something) firmly into the miter slot and then adjust from that.

As to the blade, MOST table saw blades are 1/8" thick. Make sure your riving knife/splitter is adjusted correctly. Again, this should be in your manual. As a test, remove the riving knife/splitter and try your cut again. I would only do this cut with plywood since that is likely to move less than solid hardwood. You're only troubleshooting at this point to find the culprit. Your problem may even be a combo of a few things.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    The proper riving knife will be slightly thinner than the kerf of the blade. In your original post, I missed the part about the fence being out a few mm. That's way, way too much. The fence should be perfectly parallel with the miter slots, or some like to have the far end just a little farther out, but that shouldn't be more than about .1 mm

Quote Originally Posted by James Jayko View Post
    Huh, hadn't thought of that. This is a new problem, and I purchased a new blade recently. It was a 60 tooth Diablo blade from the HD. I also used a plywood blade that I've never used before, and had the same problem (it was in a box from my dad's shop).

The blade should be the same width as the riving knife, right?

You would be well served to stop doing anything and sit down and read and comprehend your owner's manual. The problem you are describing is extremely common, especially with new equipment, and the manual should explain exactly how to fix it. No manufacturer can deliver 100% properly tuned saws because they can't control what happens during shipping.

It doesn't look like there is any adjustment possible with the riving knife on this saw. You drop it into the mount, turn the lock handle, and that's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cowart View Post
    Also make sure that the riving knife is aligned with the blade perfectly. If it is not, it can definitely cause the binding you are experiencing. Basically you need to insure the riving knife you are using it slightly thinner than the blade, and that it is perfectly aligned behind the blade. If you take a board and clamp it to you miter gauge and crosscut it as mentioned above then not only check the distance to the back of the blade, but continue on and check the distance to the riving knife. You will want to do this from both sides of the knife to make sure its not sticking out on one side.

Best of luck!