Thread: Double Square Question

Double Square Question

I received a email add about IGage products. It seems that some of their products are on sale. My question is, how many people have had Igage products and used them and are happy with their quality. I have heard some good things in the past but not much lately. I need a new set of Double Squares and they have a 4" and 6" set for 25 dollars. So I am interested in what everyone thinks about them before ordering them. Thanks for any help.

Blog Entries
    If you will check Amazon for double squares you will find many choices with some really good prices.

I have a Starrett tri-square that has been and is awesome. I appreciate it every time I pick it up.

My 4" double square is a Lee Valley square. I've never gotten a bad tool from Lee Valley.

Google double square.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 04-19-2017 at 5:34 PM.

I have an igaging double square, and I have a few of their marking knives. I find their stuff to be as advertised. No issues. The double square doesn't have as clean action as the refurbished PEC I bought, but it works fine.

Although, if you're a machinist-precision kind of guy, don't go by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I have an igaging double square, and I have a few of their marking knives. I find their stuff to be as advertised. No issues. The double square doesn't have as clean action as the refurbished PEC I bought, but it works fine.

Although, if you're a machinist-precision kind of guy, don't go by me.
    My experience is exactly the same as Prashun. The iGauging works fine but for close to the same price you can find a PEC blem (check eBay for those words - PEC blem or cosmetic blemish). The PEC has a smoother action.

It doesn't make a whole lot of difference in use, however. Because I teach I have a bunch of the 4 inch iGauging and PECs that I picked up at different times.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Same experience as Prashun. I recently bought a 6" PEC blem from Harry Epstein for under $20.

Funny, Mike. i bought my igaging square off your recommendation, I think!

Thanks for the comments. The price is not bad, it is both the 4 and the 6 inch for 25 dollars. So it is not the price just wondering about the quality that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Funny, Mike. i bought my igaging square off your recommendation, I think!
    Yeah, that was probably before I discovered the PECs. The iGauging is a lot less expensive than a Starrett and it works fine. But I discovered the PEC was a bit smoother than the iGauging.

We all keep learning.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I used the IGaging at school where they were susceptible to loss or damage, and use a blem PEC at home. The IGaging are fine for the money and with a little work can clean up nicely, but the PECs are better.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Same experience as Prashun. I recently bought a 6" PEC blem from Harry Epstein for under $20.
    Who and where is Harry Epstein? Thanks in advance Jared

Quote Originally Posted by jared herbert View Post
    Who and where is Harry Epstein? Thanks in advance Jared
    Here you go.

I have the igaging 6" double-square and like it. It is a bit sticky but I've yet to own any kind of square that wasn't. I don't own any high end types though. It's easy enough to improve - just need to get to it eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Very cool site!

So what is the use of a double square, just smaller or what?
    BILL

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    So what is the use of a double square, just smaller or what?
    BILL
    For certain work I find it more convenient than larger combination squares. For example, when doing dovetails, I like to use the double square.

Mike