Thread: No Name Swedish chisels with shark logo

No Name Swedish chisels with shark logo

I bought today 9 gouges and chisels for a total of 9 EUR.

They are all showing a shark logo + Sweden but no mention of a brand.

I have a lot of E.A. Berg chisels and the fish looks the same.
    Eskilstuna is not mentioned neither.

Are you aware of another company using the same fish, or is it a non branded AE Berg line?

Thanks a lot for your input

Did Sandvik carry on that brand, for awhile?

Thank you Steven, but I think it was Bahco, their fish is different

Blog Entries
    Howdy Axel and welcome to the Creek.

My recollection is there are a lot of different brand names associated with the "little fish."

There is a web page somewhere showing the changes to the fish over the years. Maybe someone bookmarked it and will post.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Axel,
    look for an article by Kim Malmberg about Berg Logos on WKfinetools.com or just do an internet search for his name plus berg and you'll find the article and/ or his Flikr page showing the history of Berg's fish. There is also a different article online about the history of E.A.Berg, but I'm not sure if it discusses logo changes.

One Euro per chisel is a great price as long as they are decent steel!
    Karl

6. Axel,
    Most Berg gouges were only stamped with the shark, and Sweden. Sounds like you got a great deal on some Erik Anton Berg gouges, if the have acetate handles, they may be from a time after Bahco took control.There is a site called Galootopia, devoted to mostly Swedish chisels.
    Dennis

Dear Steven, dear Jim, dear Karl, dear Dennis,

I am reading Sawmillcreek since 2013 I believe, and it still took me four years to sign up for some reason.
    Nevertheless you four, are the reason I like this unique hand tool knowledge community!!! Each of you giving a piece of a clue and I am confident to find an answer soon.

The handles are all the same shape, and I never ever bought a second hand tool with a plastic handle but I could not name the (common) wood used here.

Kim Malmberg's study is extremely interesting and documented, I will definately dig a bit in this direction...But at first sight all the logos he is showing (at least on the page I found) mention the brand's name. Malberg has got a page on EA Berg's pliers, I just bought one today for 1.34 EUR, it is quite rusty but the logo is still super clear and this will be no problem for some citric acid.

Galootopia seems to be gold as well, but it's 3 am here I am on holiday... but I will come back to it.

1 EUR per Berg might sound like a great deal, but I am fortunate enough to have bought a beach house in Denmark, where AE Berg steel is super common, that is my own secret mine, and the reason I start to own a few of them, and I never bargain...they are usually 10-20 DKK. I paid 70 DKK for this last lot. I still want to name/date them for my knowledge.

Thanks a lot for your help, your input lead me in the right direction I believe
    Last edited by Axel de Pugey; 04-20-2017 at 9:42 PM.