Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tips from a Shipwright -- Check this guy out!

Tips from a Shipwright -- Check this guy out!

Look for the YouTube channel.

Reminder that the ship builders were (are) very good ww'ers.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 04-21-2017 at 8:23 PM.

I have been watching him build the work skiff. Great series.

Blog Entries
    That's a great channel. I could listen to him all day long.

This is excellent and I can't believe no one has commented on him kick starting his bandsaw as a potential safety issue

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    This is excellent and I can't believe no one has commented on him kick starting his bandsaw as a potential safety issue
    I noticed that, also how he starts his phase converter in episode 3 with a pull rope. Excellent communicator, good video, but thirty some episodes long? I get the feeling I will be watching more...
    NOW you tell me...

In a later episode he uses an unguarded saw blade on an angle grinder for some close-quarters cuts. I hope that people are inspired by his creative problem solving skills not his shop safety practices!

He went from my favorite person on planet earth to my least in one fell swoop. He is using flat head screws, that's right he is voluntarily using flat head screws. Everyday of my life I smile thinking that we are one day closer to the complete and total eradication of the flat head screw and this guy is installing new ones.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 04-21-2017 at 2:00 PM. Reason: Removed profanity

OK, I'm new to the Flat Head Screw Conspiracy. What's the deal?

Thank you, Robert! There's something about watching a skilled shipwright starting from scratch. If I hadn't become an electrician, I would have pursued boat building.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    OK, I am on episode 10...
    NOW you tell me...

You mean you're upset that he's using slotted head screws? I get why you might have a grudge against straight slots, but having a heart attack over flat heads I really don't understand.

Have you ever tried to remove or install one. I have almost no skin left on my hands from the bit slipping out and promptly jamming into my hand. It's the most inefficient building product ever made and with modern improvements in screw heads dating back 50 years ago I can't fathom being so set in your ways you go to flat head screws as your go to.

I not only love this guy but also the way this was produced. You get a stupid amount of information in the 8-9 minute clip. I can't even imigane what this guy could do if he had any real tools or for that matter even a circular saw that was made in this century. When he clamped thst random scrap board to the bottom as a fence I almost lost it.

Blog Entries
    Have you ever tried to remove or install one. I have almost no skin left on my hands from the bit slipping out and promptly jamming into my hand. It's the most inefficient building product ever made and with modern improvements in screw heads dating back 50 years ago I can't fathom being so set in your ways you go to flat head screws as your go to.
    Reading between the lines, he has had the screws for over 30 years and finally found use for them. From before Phillips would have been more available on flat head galvanized. Or maybe he got a good deal on them way back then because they were phasing them out? He made them work though, even had a tool to clean out a buggered up slot. Oh, by the way, I am up to episode 22. Can't stop watching. And he used a brace to install many of them. No impact driver. He did have a Milwaukee cordless drill though.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 04-21-2017 at 10:28 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    He did have a Milwaukee cordless drill though.
    He uses whatever tool he deems is best for the job. He has been doing this since he was twelve. He makes good use of power hand planers because "that is the best tool for the job".

Criticizing his methods is absurd IMO. This is not a series to "tut-tut"about. This shows how professionals get the job done. If you are not a professional and are skittish about some of the methods employed, then just enjoy the videos and acknowledge that you don't live in that world. Believe me, there is a lot going on in the world of professionals that would make most of you cringe. Just marvel at his knowledge and skill.