Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tips from a Shipwright -- Check this guy out!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    He uses whatever tool he deems is best for the job. He has been doing this since he was twelve. He makes good use of power hand planers because "that is the best tool for the job".

Criticizing his methods is absurd IMO. This is not a series to "tut-tut"about. This shows how professionals get the job done. If you are not a professional and are skittish about some of the methods employed, then just enjoy the videos and acknowledge that you don't live in that world. Believe me, there is a lot going on in the world of professionals that would make most of you cringe. Just marvel at his knowledge and skill.
    Well said.

Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    He went from my favorite person on planet earth to my least in one fell swoop. He is using flat head screws, that's right he is voluntarily using flat head screws. Everyday of my life I smile thinking that we are one day closer to the complete and total eradication of the flat head screw and this guy is installing new ones.
    Slotted screws (and the term is "slotted," not "flathead," which refers to the shape of the top of the head) are used in boatbuilding because they can be removed after being painted and after corroding. Boats need refastening and parts need replacing. Bronze, over time and exposure to saltwater, loses its alloying elements to corrosion and turns pink as the copper is left behind. Bronze has to be replaced when it turns pink. Slotted screws can be replaced after corrosion takes its toll.

I have watched this guy for a long time. He knows what he is doing, and fortunately he knows the proper fastener to use in boatbuilding.

I think it was Keith's reference to "flathead" that threw me. As for slotted screws, the problems I've had with them usually came from using cheap screws, the wrong size blade, or not drilling a pilot hole.

Great series.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Slotted screws (and the term is "slotted," not "flathead," which refers to the shape of the top of the head) are used in boatbuilding because they can be removed after being painted and after corroding. Boats need refastening and parts need replacing. Bronze, over time and exposure to saltwater, loses its alloying elements to corrosion and turns pink as the copper is left behind. Bronze has to be replaced when it turns pink. Slotted screws can be replaced after corrosion takes its toll.

I have watched this guy for a long time. He knows what he is doing, and fortunately he knows the proper fastener to use in boatbuilding.

Another element to ponder. Those screws were purchased in the 80's, when quality mattered. Using the brace and bit on a recently manufactured screw would certainly twist the head right off. I believe he did well by using those screws.

Blog Entries
    On episode 32 now. Addictive. The most recent episode (37) was published yesterday as the boat was finished, a motor added and put on display and up on E-Bay for sale, currently at $17,100 (skiff only).
    The term slotted screwdriver is correct, however the common terminology is flathead as in "toss me the flathead screwdriver". I always cringe, but am getting used to it. Of course flathead (for countersinking) screws are available on many drive styles including slotted, Phillips, Torx, etc. When is the last time you heard a pro ask for a slotted screwdriver? Of course it could be a regional thing. Like asking for a square drive bit vs a Robertson drive bit.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 04-23-2017 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Removed eBay link per TOS
    NOW you tell me...

So, I have never heard anyone refer to a flathead screw driver as a slotted screw driver once in my 40 years but I guess you can learn something new every day. I didn't think about them being able to be cleaned out and removed easier, that does make sense. I love how uptight it is around here and no one can focus on anything that is said other then to find a way do argue or dispute it. "Slotted screws" suck and I would rather throw the boat away and build a new one then to have to install one single flathead errr slotted screw. Death to the slotted screw!!!!!

Blog Entries
    The screw is slotted. The driver is flathead.
    Last edited by Malcolm Schweizer; 04-23-2017 at 9:15 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    So, I have never heard anyone refer to a flathead screw driver as a slotted screw driver once in my 40 years but I guess you can learn something new every day. I didn't think about them being able to be cleaned out and removed easier, that does make sense. I love how uptight it is around here and no one can focus on anything that is said other then to find a way do argue or dispute it. "Slotted screws" suck and I would rather throw the boat away and build a new one then to have to install one single flathead errr slotted screw. Death to the slotted screw!!!!!
    I remember lamenting with my dad about the idiot that invented Phillips screws, and how easy it was to strip out the head. Little did I know it was because we just has cheap screws and a worn out or wrong size screwdriver. Now slotted screws are last on my list to use anywhere. Long live Torx.

But one purpose of his video series was to incorporate many materials and techniques of how they used to do it and the slotted screws fits the bill there. He admitted that his next project boat would likely use stainless steel screws. Probably the most interesting part of the series was his use of galvanized cut boat nails and his big pin hammer he used to drive them. Actually there were so many captivating parts with regard to his skill, I don't know where to start.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 04-23-2017 at 8:38 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

I googled flat head screwdriver and some actually came up but around these parts the screw heads are flat, pan, truss, etc. and the drivers slotted, Phillips, Robertson. When I had to travel to Iowa everything you purchased was put in a "sack" no one there says bag. The skiff series was great and I look forward to more.

This man is the real thing. Shipwrights are in an entirely different world. He also worked on the Coronet, a 100 ft plus sailing yacht restoration. Check out Coronet 1885 web site if you want to see some real shipwrighting. I grew up around those types of skiffs and the one he built is nicely done and will take a beating as a working boat. Try throwing oysters or crabs or clams on a vinyl deck for a few years. I even learned to water ski behind one of those.
    Jim

OK, I just wanted to say, THANKS for the new addiction!!!! Like a good book, can't put it down!!1

Up to $19,300

Plus, his southern New England accent is just perfect. Subtle and so pleasant to listen to.

Loved watching the first episode and will definitely be watching the whole series. I just today finished calibrating my new slider and found it comical that I spent hours upon hours getting every adjustment to the millimeter on the fence, blade angles, support table alignment etc and this consummate pro just slaps on a foot long piece of angle iron with a C clamp for his fence and goes to town.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Shewmake View Post
    .... and this consummate pro just slaps on a foot long piece of angle iron with a C clamp for his fence and goes to town.
    Exactly!
    Watching Paul Sellers is a similar experience and there are thousands of others out there doing amazing work with primative tools.

One thing is for certain, it ain't the tools that make the piece, it's the crafter.