Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tips from a Shipwright -- Check this guy out!

Man that's a beautiful boat.
    Even tho I build cabinets from rough lumber it's just so cool to have watched that skiff grow from nothing.
    Boats and cabinets are two different animals.

Cutting off body parts doesn't concern him to much but he draws the line at hearing protection. This is easily the best thread ever posted on sawmill. I can't believe there is a single person that's on this web site and interestied in woodworking that wouldn't enjoy some aspect of this web series.

I'm puttering along watching him work. He has a natural and calm presence about him that is perfect for YouTube. The videos are quite excellent and well-produced.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I believe that shipwrights, carvers, and possibly painters and sculptors have a third eye or something that allows them to have a special sense of curves. It is not a skill that I possess. Perhaps Malcolm S. could elaborate on this. When boards start to bend in every direction I get lost quickly. This was not a really tough build for this craftsman. Fun to watch for sure.
    Jim

Just wanted to thank Robert again for posting this. I think I was more excited for the premiere of season 2 then I was for Game of thrones and the Mcgregor fight combined. And somehow it got better.

Beautiful boat!!

The guy is definitely skilled, but I've seen his work before.
    It's a long series, with a lot of good info in it, regardless of his tool use practices.

Keith
    I hope you get over the slotted, or flathead screw, bias. They do have a place, and boat building is one of them. Screws used in boat building have to able to be removed and a flathead screw is easier than a phillips if and when it gets buggered up to remove. I've repaired many wooden boats though the years, and getting those screws out is pain in the butt.

The question about building the boat designed to swell, to seal, is a little backward. The wood is going to swell, and there is no way to stop it. If the swelling is not accounted, for the seam will split and no matter how tight it was when dry, it is now leaking water. He's building a boat to swell to seal because he doesn't have a choice.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I will never believe that flathead galvanized screws are the best option for anything!!

For slotted head screws I recommend Klein as an off the shelf, readily available quality driver. Other alternatives are made by Grace for gunsmiths (parallel ground tips) and Lee Valley (Parallel grind tips). The parallel grind is an important aspect of good slotted tip drivers because they are made to precise standards for gap width and the tip contacts more of the inner surface of the slot, reducing the possibility of slippage and camming out the slot. YMMV!
    Last edited by Ron Kellison; 09-01-2017 at 11:04 PM.
    Best regards,

Ron

You haven't really been lost until you've been lost at Mach 2!

I had to laugh at some of his (un)safety practices also. The guy has definitely been doing this a long time. And he seems to still have all his body parts. I was impressed with his ability to follow pencil lines so well. A skill I'm still working on.

If I sanded that paint without my respirator I'd be suffering for a week if not worse

Link to season 2 episode 1

https://youtu.be/rUnj3moDFFQ

I enjoyed the first one.

MK

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    He also worked on the Coronet, a 100 ft plus sailing yacht restoration. Check out Coronet 1885 web site if you want to see some real shipwrighting. .
    Jim
    I saw that entire series on Ultimate Restorations. Just awestruck at the work and the workmanship.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

This guys methods remind me of myself. I'm confident in my own safety, but it would make me very nervous to allow an inexperienced person to use the same procedures. For example, my tablesaw is unguarded, it just isn't possible to do the things I do with a guard in place, but I won't allow anyone else to use it.

Thanks for posting this link. It took me a long time to watch and now I'm hooked on every episode.

I really love how he shows how he hunts down and finds the right log for each job. Season 2, Episode 2 is all about a trip to the sawmill where he finds a 23 foot Swamp White Oak log and has it sawn to his specifications. You can tell that sawyer at the mill has developed crazy skills after years on the job.

It is a real pleasure watching professional tradesmen in their natural habitat!