Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tips from a Shipwright -- Check this guy out!

The power planer market definitely owes him a great debt, no one has ever tried to use the power planer half as much as he does.

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    The power planer market definitely owes him a great debt, no one has ever tried to use the power planer half as much as he does.
    Which proves the point of the value of his knowledge.

Whatever gets you from point A to point B without sacrificing quality.

It's not at all about old school, it's about school. He has learned from his teachers, and now he is teaching.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Which proves the point of the value of his knowledge.

Whatever gets you from point A to point B without sacrificing quality.

It's not at all about old school, it's about school. He has learned from his teachers, and now he is teaching.

My motto: "Knowledge not shared is lost." It's why I started volunteering to teach boatbuilding and why I post on this site. Whatever knowledge you have- share it.

Awesome. As I wind down my working life, I'll be doing the same.

I became a couch potato this weekend and watched the entire thing. Great shows. It gets me to wanting to build this boat and I do not need it.

He uses whatever tool he deems is best for the job. He has been doing this since he was twelve. He makes good use of power hand planers because "that is the best tool for the job".

Criticizing his methods is absurd IMO. This is not a series to "tut-tut"about. This shows how professionals get the job done. If you are not a professional and are skittish about some of the methods employed, then just enjoy the videos and acknowledge that you don't live in that world. Believe me, there is a lot going on in the world of professionals that would make most of you cringe. Just marvel at his knowledge and skill.
    Exactly! I would in no way post some of the setups I use in my shop to get the job done and still make a wage. Like the one Joe posted a while ago and got all kinds of guff about.

I am enjoying the series, only on three, but I know I will watch a couple every morning with coffee now. Many of the methods he has used so far are common practice for old guys like me that have grown up in the trades, and I'm still here. And I still use flat/slotted screws on restoration work.

Kieth, If you have a last generation Milwaukee impact with the three settings the lowest setting with a proper sized bit will set slotted screws with ease as it is very controllable. I also have a SnapOn screwdriver that I ground a slight V just behind the head like a dovetail for the final alignment of the screws. Works well for door screws as all cast iron hinges use..

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Reading between the lines, he has had the screws for over 30 years and finally found use for them..
    My kitchen in my own house has six different kinds of slides, leftovers from jobs long forgotten, so this I understand.

8. This is a beautiful project. Can anyone explain why he chose to build an old fashioned boat that swells to seal the cracks? Is there a practical reason because its a work skiff or was it just for the sake of building in the old ways? Anyway I figured I'd share two of my favorites. The first is just a beautiful skiff that's probably not practical for much other than putting around in the second is a purpose built skiff for a very specific fishing style down here in Florida.

https://vimeo.com/53186326
    https://www.microskiff.com/threads/b...s-skiff.17438/

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Whiteman View Post
    This is a beautiful project. Can anyone explain why he chose to build an old fashioned boat that swells to seal the cracks? Is there a practical reason because its a work skiff or was it just for the sake of building in the old ways?
    Probably tradition. Tradition is highly valued up here. Folks with traditional wooden Cat boats will be towing them onto the beach at low tide soon, tying them to their moorings and allowing them to fill with water through the spacing between the planking that shrank while in dry dock. Then after the oak has swelled up tight, they pump the water out and are set for a summer of sailing fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Whiteman View Post
    This is a beautiful project. Can anyone explain why he chose to build an old fashioned boat that swells to seal the cracks? Is there a practical reason because its a work skiff or was it just for the sake of building in the old ways? Anyway I figured I'd share two of my favorites. The first is just a beautiful skiff that's probably not practical for much other than putting around in the second is a purpose built skiff for a very specific fishing style down here in Florida.

https://vimeo.com/53186326
    https://www.microskiff.com/threads/b...s-skiff.17438/
    I grew up with those boats. They are work boats. Once swelled they don't leak, just takes a few days. Stable easy to work or fish off of. Take a beating and easy for the most part to repair. The ones my family had were built in the 20s and 30s and we're going strong in the 60s.
    Jim

He uses whatever tool he deems is best for the job. He has been doing this since he was twelve. He makes good use of power hand planers because "that is the best tool for the job".

Criticizing his methods is absurd IMO. This is not a series to "tut-tut"about. This shows how professionals get the job done. If you are not a professional and are skittish about some of the methods employed, then just enjoy the videos and acknowledge that you don't live in that world. Believe me, there is a lot going on in the world of professionals that would make most of you cringe. Just marvel at his knowledge and skill.
    I would respectfully disagree, at least with respect to proper tool use and safety. Using an essentially unguarded circular saw blade at twice it's design RPMs for freehand cuts may be expedient, but it's not safe, and it's not professional in any sense other than that he is probably getting paid for it. Mr. Sauzedde himself understands this - if you watch many of his videos, he uses that tool quite frequently, and usually makes a comment when doing so to the effect that it's not safe, but "oh well, it works for me." The subtext - don't do this yourself, couldn't be clearer. Meanwhile, the surgeons at the trauma hospital just up the road from where I am sitting have in the last 18 months reattached the forearms (yes, arms, not digits) of two separate "professional" builders who had them amputated by unguarded table saw blades. These guys nearly died, and have permanently loss much functional use of their arms because as "professionals" they believed they knew the tool they were using well enough to ignore safety systems.

There are many things done that are not "safe". Do as you wish in your own shop. The man said you may not be comfortable with doing this. How many times have you seen loggers working on TV not suited up like an astronaut or crabbers working on a heaving deck in the Artic. It's a great build and I was very pleased to watch it. Most of the safety things were invented to protect the guy or gal who walks into the box store and buys a tool not knowing which side of the blade is the dangerous side.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Do as you wish in your own shop. The man said you may not be comfortable with doing this. ... Most of the safety things were invented to protect the guy or gal who walks into the box store and buys a tool not knowing which side of the blade is the dangerous side.
    Jim
    Well, that's the point, isn't it? He isn't "doing it in his own shop." He's doing it in youtube videos that are being watched by those people you characterize as "walks into the box store and buys a tool not knowing which side of the blade is the dangerous side." 175,000 people have watched the first video. He's doing it as a teacher and with the explicit endorsement of Jamestown. In my mind, a professional does not teach techniques he or she has to warn people against using.

And yes, it's a great build and a joy to watch him in action for the most part. I learned a lot, and enjoyed the series.

I like to think of myself as one of the most unsafe power tool users around and this guy puts me to shame. I had heard this circular saw blade on a grinder was coming and still couldn't believe it. This is easily my most favorite thread ever posted on this web site. In related news I heard sawstop is working on a retractable 7" grinder/circular saw.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    I would respectfully disagree, at least with respect to proper tool use and safety. Using an essentially unguarded circular saw blade at twice it's design RPMs for freehand cuts may be expedient, but it's not safe, and it's not professional in any sense other than that he is probably getting paid for it. Mr. Sauzedde himself understands this - if you watch many of his videos, he uses that tool quite frequently, and usually makes a comment when doing so to the effect that it's not safe, but "oh well, it works for me." The subtext - don't do this yourself, couldn't be clearer. Meanwhile, the surgeons at the trauma hospital just up the road from where I am sitting have in the last 18 months reattached the forearms (yes, arms, not digits) of two separate "professional" builders who had them amputated by unguarded table saw blades. These guys nearly died, and have permanently loss much functional use of their arms because as "professionals" they believed they knew the tool they were using well enough to ignore safety systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    Well, that's the point, isn't it? He isn't "doing it in his own shop." He's doing it in youtube videos that are being watched by those people you characterize as "walks into the box store and buys a tool not knowing which side of the blade is the dangerous side." 175,000 people have watched the first video. He's doing it as a teacher and with the explicit endorsement of Jamestown. In my mind, a professional does not teach techniques he or she has to warn people against using.
    In the words of Sgt. Hulka - "Lighten up Francis"

He's not making a safety video. And if you think the mouth breathers of the world were going to key in on and takes note of all the safety nuances while watching you were mistaken.