Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Position for hauling a bandsaw

Position for hauling a bandsaw

If all the stars align I am going to the Grizzly showroom tomorrow morning and purchasing a band saw G0513x2 . I would like to haul it home laying horizontal instead of upright. I have a full size Silverado with a topper that I don't want to remove it if possible. Seems like with the saw in a crate it could be laying down without damage. Anyone have experience hauling a crated band saw horizontal instead of vertical? Yes I have messaged customer service but have not received a response yet. thanks!

Horizontal on the spine should be fine, as long as the crate is made to accommodate it.

You might find that their crate is a heavy card board box. Good to plan on some extra support and tie downs but as Matt writes above, on the spine will be safe. Just don't allow any rolling.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Congratulations for the new toy Julian!

I have moved two bandsaws in the past. Once uncrated at the back of a Ford Explorer and a second time crated (factory) in a utility trailer. No problem either time. As Sam mentioned, extra padding and tie downs will ensure a safe trip home.

Remove the table if it is installed. That will prevent possible damage to the trunions. It will also make the saw less top heavy when it is on its spine.

John

Ditto to removing the table..

Smaller saws, but when I moved used saws, I removed table, stand and laid saw on a couple tires in back of truck, tied it down and away we went

Northfield crates and ships their saws laying on their spine.

I have never taken a table off a bandsaw to haul or ship.

I lay a 36" wadkin down for a six hour drive. Guy I bought it from flipped out. took the top section off and the table off then supported it assembled it here. It was on a flat 16 foot car trailer and I had no interest in it doing the journey standing up. Other than a bit of time it worked perfectly. Wee bit heavy.

Fellows, thanks for sharing your thoughts about this. I'm going to rolll the dice in the morning and leave the house my bed cap on. Grizzly website shows their bandsaw in a pretty solid looking wood crate with the table off. We'll giver a try in the horizontal.

Hauled a Rikon 14" horizontal. Don't know big your Griz is in comparison, but I had no problem.

This saw is a 17".

13. Quote Originally Posted by Ed Aumiller View Post
    Ditto to removing the table..
    Just me, but... I wouldn't do that with a factory crated saw. The manufacturer has certainly shipped may saws and ought to have the packing well figured out. I'd just count on them to pack it well, unless it was obvious that packing was insufficient.

If it was an uncrated saw or the packing looked inadequate, then yes by all means take the table off. When I bough a used Delta I hauled it laying down and broke a trunion. Since then when it had to be moved I took off the table and the top half of the saw (taking it apart at the rise block). By breaking it down into three pieces the weight of each was much more manageable and I was more easily able to handle it alone.

Hi Julian, here's a photo of a Hammer N4400 in my minivan............Regards, Rod.
    In The Van.jpg

Band saw saga ended in success, got home with it safely late this afternoon. It transported just fine horizontal positioned on it's spine. Funny deal, when I drove around the loading dock, I noticed it was laying on its spine in the warehouse when the forklift drive went to pick it up. Too much worry about nothing.

loading band saw.jpg