Thread: 10'' craftsman RAS

10'' craftsman RAS

Hi all, first time poster! I recently purchased a Craftsman 10'' Professional Radial Arm Saw at a reasonable price.
    Having owned one in the past I thought it would be a no brainier, boy I was wrong for the life of me I can't figure how to free up the carriage I have disconnected the cable thing but the carriage movement is still very stiff.

Please, if anyone has any experience I would greatly appreciative for any words of wisdom and help!

Rick

Rick,
    Not sure what year RAS you have but mine is a mid 80's saw I bought new (great saw) but there is a knob on the saw carriage where it rides the rail to go in and out that you can tighten if you want the saw to stay out a certain distance for ripping cuts. I don't use it for ripping anymore so the knob just is backed out so the saw slides easy. Not sure of what cable you are talking about?

A picture of the saw in question would help greatly.

we need pic's to be sure what part your talking about. I not sure because you said Cable thing I down know where that's at

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Waits View Post
    we need pic's to be sure what part your talking about. I not sure because you said Cable thing I down know where that's at
    I'm guessing that the "cable thing" is the auto retract mechanism that Sears foisted on the public in the idea of safety. It was supposed to pull the carriage back behind the fence on its own. Never worked properly as I understand (didn't own one). If that is the device, then we are talking about a late 90's or 2000's era saw.

Likely, either the lock is partially on that is supposed to hold the carriage in place for rip tasks. Or someone adjusted the bearings on the rail really tight in an attempt to prevent grab and self feeding. I've got mine pretty tight, but It still moves okay. Check the lock first, then lube the track/rail, then if no joy there, find a manual and back off the bearings a bit.

That's all I got.
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Circo View Post
    I'm guessing that the "cable thing" is the auto retract mechanism that Sears foisted on the public in the idea of safety. It was supposed to pull the carriage back behind the fence on its own. Never worked properly as I understand (didn't own one). If that is the device, then we are talking about a late 90's or 2000's era saw.
    I owned one for a few months; you got it wrong. The cable prevented the self feed by resisting movement. But if it is disconnected it does nothing.
    It was 10 years ago, but I think it was pretty much the same as any other RAS otherwise.

Thanks everyone, the saw in question was made 15 years ago, I also had one that I bought in the early 80s and I think I paid more then than now. My first blunder was to think it was set up properly, don't know who or what the first owner did with it but it wasn't much the guy I got it from just used it to cut angle iron. Bottom line it was the carriage bearings pulled them off and cleaned freed them up and it' working great but the particle board table needs to be replaced as part of the tuneup.

Thanks again for all of your input,
    Rick