Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hand Tool Shop - How Big?

I work in the living room of my apartment. When I spread out, I probably have around a 4' x 8' area.

unfinished front.jpg

On more apartment workshop here! I'm just starting out and I'm a lucky man - my wife still allows to use second bed room as a workshop. Initially it was used as a storage room when renovation took place in other rooms... let's just say last room renovation takes longer than expected.

It is about 7' x 11' and some electric tools kept in other room. After two years it looks like this:

DSC_0156.jpg

I'm still in production of means of production, so to say, and learning how to work with hand tools at the same time - workbench, drill press stand, tools wall cabinet, wooden square, shooting board, some jigs.

Would be nice to have room more like square than like corridor maybe... It seems the most critical thing that dictates dimensions is how to arrange the tables.
    Last edited by Andrey Kharitonkin; 05-03-2017 at 3:40 AM.

this is a very interesting thread. I have split off my hand tool work from my machine work since I added metalworking to my shop. The hand tools are in a different room. I'm currently rearranging the wall between the two rooms, I hope I did it right. There will be a little less room for the hand tools, but it seems to be an ok split. I find my hand tool envelope is not much bigger than 4-5' on all sides of my bench. It's a pretty typical Scandinavian-style bench.

I'd recommend taking a look at Bob R's old video blog.
    Here is his shop tour video:
    https://logancabinetshoppe.wordpress.../10/episode-9/

Jim Tolpin shop tour is also interesting:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyJXaDBEoJA

Patrick Edwards shop:
    http://woodtreks.com/category/tools/workbench/

Matt

Dungeon Shop has just two work areas..
    DSCF0001.JPG
    One for saw work..
    DSCF0005.JPG
    And one for bench work. Bench is a bit full, right now.
    DSCF0009.JPG
    Basement shop means I have areas overhead to stash a few things...mainly clamps, and a couple extra saws....and..
    DSCF0010.JPG
    A few drills. Right when I get to the bottom of the stairs, I have a little bench set up..
    DSCF0011.JPG
    With most of my screwdrivers stored above it..
    DSCF0012.JPG

I do have a large storage area...
    DSCF0003.JPG
    Be surprised what all is in there. I do have to share the space with the laundry Room....There is another bench set up..
    DSCF0006.JPG
    More for scraps and powertools. That 1x6 is to keep things from bouncing off that shelf, and onto the floor.

There was an old, falling apart, dresser in the basement, when we moved in.....it is under the plane til, and holds my hammers and files...

Well, that was the $0.05 tour....

And, I think everyone has seen the bench, right?
    DSCF0004.JPG
    nothing all that fancy, just a workbench.

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Jake Take all you can get. 400 sq. ft. Would be a nice size for a shop. A nice bench area, sharpening space so you don't have to put stuff away, an assembly space, a smal joinery bench if you like, room enough for tools and lumber and an area to set saw horses for long rips. Room enough so you don't need to move things around to continue a build. I don't have that much now about half that. I either extend into the garage or spend time moving things to work. I had a 2500 sq. ft. shop for a long time but at my age I would be spending all my time cleaning it now. My 200 sq. ft. is not enough.
    Jim
    I know this is a late response. Thanks for the encouragement! It's good to know much can be done with little, and I'm glad I have the space. Problem is, I'll still have to park the car in the garage. Thus the peripheral resting places along the walls for the stationary power equipment. So things will have to move around, and often. However, the Sante Fe will have to stay out during key builds, despite the fact our homeowners association frowns on that.