Thread: Got bored today, again

Got bored today, again

No walk abouts....no projects, what to do?
    Had a couple saws from last year's rust hunts...both are Disstons. One is a "Journeyman" according to what I can make out of the almost gone silkscreened logo
    journeyman.JPG
    Yeah, yeah....HK Porter era. Hanger hole, cheap hardware.....The second saw was a bit older

Second saw's handle was way too blocky, saw plate had a small bend. Plate needed cleaned up
    clocked.JPG
    Hardware was cleaned up, screws clocked. Blockiness was removed, along with the flaky finish
    show side.JPG
    Bend was fixed. Took the handle off to sand the curves, and apply the Witch's Brew finish ( wipe on-wipe off)
    shined up.JPG
    Plate was shined up. It is a 8ppi, 26" crosscut. No hanger hole!

The saws were part of a 3 for $3 set. This one seemed to need fixed up, not so sure about the others...
    next time I get "Bored" I might even sharpen those teeth. It is fairly sharp as is. Now it fits the hands a bit better.

Just something to while away an afternoon...

Just a "Carpenter's saw", and may get used as such.

The dollar bill cost seems to about the norm, around my area...YMMV, of course.

'

Blog Entries
    I've done what you did here. The real blast thought came after I sharpened the saws and use them. In my opinion,
    these are not just carpenter's saws. They are Disstons and were at one time, the way framing was done.

An 8 point crosscut saw will cut a 2X4 in a hurry if it is sharp and set properly. I can cut one with my cross cut saw
    before I can drag out an extension cord and connect my "Skilsaw". It really is a Porter Cable.

I remember as a young child, during the 40's, the church members framed a church building. There were no "Skilsaws" in those days.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 04-20-2017 at 6:40 PM.

Had an uncle, and that is all he used for building houses. He also was very good at sharpening about any saw.

Blog Entries
    I have some more modern Disstons that had ugly blonde block-ish handles. A little work with a saw handle rasp, some stain, and varnish made fine looking saws out of them.

I don't think the saw plate is taper ground like on the old ones. I also doubt they are taper ground. I'll have to put a micrometer on them.

I did put some extra copper (or bronze) saw nuts on them that I had laying around. If I see a junker rotten handsaw, I do save the saw nuts.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 04-20-2017 at 6:51 PM.

Second saw was started, tonight.
    rusty plate.JPG
    Handle removed. Etch...was a silk screen thingy...tried to bring it back...failed. 100 grit in a palmsander, to remove the nasty stuff, other side was worse.
    Handles?
    handle, before.JPG
    Meh....need to get rid of the price tag...wood is some sort of white hardwood....burned easily too. Sander with 60 grit, rasps, and files...then a coat of the Brew..
    handle, after.JPG
    Looks a bit better....

About bringing back an etch...I use a Gun Blue Paste..
    gun blue.JPG
    Let it dry a while, wipe off the excess, then a sanding block to take off all but the etch...doesn't work when it is a silk screened logo...worked great on my large Stanley 8" square....can read the numbers, now.

Hardware is shined up. Maybe tomorrow, I can put this saw back together. 8ppi, 26" crosscut. Disston/HK Porter.

Waiting on the handle to dry..

Teeth could use a refresher. I have a 6" extra slim taper file, was wondering IF it will work on these 8ppi crosscut teeth. Still seems to be plenty of set, maybe just a quick swipe on each tooth?

Maybe I'll work on that later today, maybe tomorrow...no real rush.

The D-8, 8ppi is at a sharpening service, need to pick it up later, along with a Disston 14", 11ppi, No. 4 backsaw. he charges $0.60 per inch of teeth....all I have to do is drive over, drop them off, and when they are done, pick them back up. Gets me out of the house that way.

Saw is finished up and in the til..
    DSCF0008.JPG
    brought it back out for an "After" picture, or two..
    DSCF0009.JPG
    Then back into the til it went....dangerous when I get bored

Blog Entries
    You do nice work.

According to a catalog I found...first saw is a T-1 townsman saw, second one is a C-1 Counrtyside saw.