Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Craigslist bargain?

How about this 20" bandsaw for $200?
    Attached Images Attached Images

On the other hand........

I bought a double spindle Unitronix shaper, no missing parts, two 3/4" and two 1 1/8" spindles, manual wrenches and spare parts with a 1hp Univer feeder for $750. Shaper weighs 3400 pounds, three of the spindles were perfect at the top, one was a half a thousandth out. It a close copy of a Martin T21, awesome machine.

Then I sold my well used Minimax T50 for $1500.

Quote Originally Posted by William Shelley View Post
    My favorite is when people mis-label a RAS as a "table saw".
    You mean a "radio alarm saw"?
    Regards,
    Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Marty View Post
    How about this 20" bandsaw for $200?

That is a magnificent machine! And that's a bargain!

As an aside, power tools are really pretty impressive for holding value over time. My other major interest is enterprise-grade computer hardware. It's quite amazing how a $60,000 new server system drops to about $2000 once the 3 year warranty expires.

And yet people still try and charge close to the new price for 3-5 year old computer junk on craigslist.

Quote Originally Posted by William Shelley View Post
    As an aside, power tools are really pretty impressive for holding value over time. My other major interest is enterprise-grade computer hardware. It's quite amazing how a $60,000 new server system drops to about $2000 once the 3 year warranty expires.

And yet people still try and charge close to the new price for 3-5 year old computer junk on craigslist.
    It really feels like in every way the entire country has taken leave of its senses in the last year or so. Woodworking is a really nice way for me to escape some of the craziness.

I find dealing directly with other woodworkers is far more effective than Craigslist in buying equipment. There is not a single decent 8 inch Jointer available on Craigslist at a rational price anywhere within 400 miles of my home in Columbus Ohio. Another woodworker is cutting me a very fair deal on one.

I can't really see driving across town to look at a lot of the stuff that comes up on Craigslist, much less 3 1/2 hours. That doesn't keep me from checking Craigslist religiously every day though,a s there are bargains out there.

Should buy the jointer and flip it lol

how about this electric table saw. Also notice his method of cleaning it.

https://batonrouge.craigslist.org/tls/6090977382.html

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Alu View Post
    how about this electric table saw. Also notice his method of cleaning it.

https://batonrouge.craigslist.org/tls/6090977382.html

LOL now that is funny. What an idiot.

Likely he was pressure washing out 20 years of chicken poo from storage in a chicken house... And thats not "rust".. Its "patina"....

Honestly - I think many people put stupid prices on things for several reasons...
    1. They are delusional.
    2. They know they will have to negotiate down to sell... So they are trying to give themselves room
    3. They look at new list prices rather than factoring in depreciation... Aka a 20 year old version is not worth 75% of new...
    4. They are just no good at selling.... There is a very good reason that consignment, pawn shops, and "antique mall" places exist...
    5. They dont understand the difference between "selling" and "keeping"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Sloan View Post
    Need a nice jointer? Someone asking $500 for this on our local craiglist! Who says there are no bargains on craigslist!
    Does it bother you that much?

I have found some good deals on CL. Wanted an old Delta lathe, with the jack shaft so I had sixteen speeds. Wound up buying two lathes to get all the pieces I needed. Total outlay was $200. I put the one I wanted together, then sold the other one which was running for $150. So I got the lathe I wanted for $50.

BUT....people hear these stories about how some old piece of woodworking machinery is worth tons of money and suddenly anything and everything that is old is valuable in their twisted way of thinking. I had fun with one on Ebay a few years ago. He used the vintage and collectible words. Ridiculous price on the item. So I asked him eventually "Would you pay the same for an antique Model A as you would for the same year Pierce Arrow? He still did not get it, LOL.

I like the fact he is not using safety glasses and he has them lens down so they get scratched. Probably took them off because too much high pressure water blew onto the lenses!

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    Does it bother you that much?
    Jack, I don't think anybody's bothered, just having a little fun.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Timing is everything. There are not many good deals in my neck of the woods either. Having said that, last year I found a like new Sawstop PCS for about 60% of new price. I was onsite with money within 1 hour of the post and 3 others were on their way to view. The post was removed later that day. So..... Not that many people even saw the deal. The great deals get deleted fast, the others linger for weeks.
    Frankie

I have a great Border Collie, she just can't hold her licker!