Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Craigslist bargain?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Jack, I don't think anybody's bothered, just having a little fun.
    Exactly Bruce, as one who has bought and sold good tools on Craigslist and Ebay (with consistently happy results on both ends), I just thought the listing was pretty funny (and many of you have agreed). Who knows maybe the guy that listed the old jointer was laughing as he posted it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Vaughan View Post
    Whenever I see prices like that, I can't help but wish I'd been the one to originally sell them the jointer.
    Now that's funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    $500 craftsman ras's pop up here. Every once in a while I try to talk some sense into them.
    $1500 at the local Salvation Army... and was missing parts as a bonus. I looked at it at least 5 times to make sure it wasn't a misprint or a misplaced decimal but nope.. $1500!

Unfortunately - there can be political games going on at places like that thrift store.... The "person in the know" prices the object stupid... It sits and sits and sits... The fellow wont budge for some crazy reason....

Then somebody decides to jettison the thing because it just won't sell... And guess who is there to take the scrap off their hands? You got it - that same do gooder....

I have seen them do stuff like this because "Those junk shop dealers buy our stuff then mark it up in their own store..." Yeah... Well... YOU are getting it totally free on donation.. He has to pay for it... And he also has to let it sit around while nobody buys it for a fouple years till he finally negotiates a much lower price...

We found a nice Powermatic tenoner on CL for $150 last week, it took me two days to think about it. Wife and I drove 7 hours each way to bring her home. A little spir polish, etc, etc and she is running great.

14 Hour day road trip but well worth it

Are the 2 x 6 legs included in that price?

Quote Originally Posted by John Gulick View Post
    We found a nice Powermatic tenoner on CL for $150 last week, it took me two days to think about it. Wife and I drove 7 hours each way to bring her home. A little spir polish, etc, etc and she is running great.

14 Hour day road trip but well worth it
    What are you doing for your wife? She sounds awesome!

I'm sort of in the middle of this right now. My dad passed back in January this year and he and I both had a passion for woodworking so both of us have had shops for years now. He had really good stuff - but pretty old vintage. I have most of the tools he had and in a little better shape so I'm trying to get his stuff moved out of the house now. I just sold a 1.5 HP Grizzly shaper with a 1/4 HP feeder for $550 which I thought was a pretty good deal for both the buyer and seller and it got it gone. Problem was I had about 10 replies wanting me to take a check and let their mover pick it up. Folks must still fall for this stuff I guess or they wouldn't be still doing it. Also, in Atlanta we just had another couple killed when they went to meet a guy for a sale. That and just not wanting folks coming to my house that I don't know has me wondering if there isn't a better way to sell WW stuff. I sold the shaper in 1 day but I didn't feel comfortable with the whole deal.

I'm the same way, Rick. Whenever possible, I'll try to meet a buyer someplace other than my home. Probably paranoia, but I'd just as soon not having them come to my house.

Some police departments have set up a site in the police station parking lot for folks to meet and do the exchange there. it is well lit, 100% video recorded and in the station parking lot. Anything goes wrong yell loud and an officer will come running out. It would be nice if they had an outlet to power up the tool before handing over the money.
    Bill

no idea if this link is legit or not.....
    https://www.safedeal.zone/
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 05-28-2017 at 12:18 PM.