Thread: New Guy and New Tools

New Guy and New Tools

Hi Everyone! This is my first post here. I'm still in college but I've been doing serious woodworking since I was in 5th grade. I'm finally getting a real shop set up as I come across deals on used equipment. I'm a glutton for good equipment and good deals, so naturally I get myself in trouble. As far as stationary machinery goes I've got a tablesaw, jointer, RAS and getting a free bandsaw and planer. I got the tablesaw from my boss. It's a 2000 36-812 with the Biesemeyer 30" fence rails and table that was used until 2008 when they got Sawstops and its sat ever since.

Last summer, I worked in a cabinet shop with a 12" Delta RAS that I really liked. My crosscut machine was a GMC SCMS that I got for Christmas a few years ago. It works for rough construction but terrible for furniture. So I found a 16" 7.5hp 3ph Delta for a pretty good deal on CL. My poor mother went with me and pretty much shook her head this whole time. it turned out just fine. I'll have to clean up the rust and the paint is covered in some sort of soot, but I'll make a separate thread on that.

Then on Friday and Saturday I went to visit my brother. He works at think[box] at Case Western university in Cleveland. They're setting up a new woodworking shop and I did some consulting on tools for them. Their planer, jointer, and bandsaw came and the rest is on the way. I have to say that I wasn't too impressed with the fit and finish of the MM16 and it was missing some parts but I know it's a fantastic saw.

Sorry for the sorta long introduction but I've been lurking for a long time and figured I'd actually post. Thanks for a great forum!!
    Last edited by Grant Nill; 04-20-2017 at 6:25 PM.

Great start. My exact starting machines too.

You've got some nice stuff already at a very young age - especially that RAS.

Thanks for mentioning the think[box] lab at Case. I'm just outside CLE so I looked it up. No mention of woodworking except a SCMS. Feel free to contact me if they need any help setting up machinery or anything, it'd be a good excuse to visit!

Wow! You're off to a better start than most of us finish with!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Thanks guys! I plan on doing woodworking as my part of my career, so I see it as an investment for the future while I don't have a wife or kids. My dad isn't handy at all but he always taught me to buy the best you can but I sure wish the MM16 and Powermatic stuff was mine haha

Matt, I'll shoot you a message later in the month. I'll be there in mid-May helping him move and setting up their Sawstop and a few other machines. It'd be great to meet you and I know they're going to need volunteers who know what they're doing if you're interested.

Very cool, thanks Grant. I look forward to hearing from you.
    I however do have a wife and kids (3 & 4 yo) so give me a heads up!