Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Any Old Draftsmen out there?

I also have an old Leroy lettering set ! My oldest drafting set must be very nearly 18th. C.. Even has an ivory rule with it,with several different scales engraved on it. I used it in my film when laying out the keyboard for the spinet we were making in the film. Used to could get nice old(and hardly used) old drafting sets pretty cheap in the Pennsylvania flea markets. They seem to have realized their value by now!!
    Last edited by george wilson; 04-25-2017 at 5:57 PM.

I just noticed that Lee Valley sells a pointer!

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...53&cat=1,44047

James

Blog Entries
    Often times a project design will be drawn on paper to decide on scale, sizes, layout and joinery. Often it is just drawn out on the wood being used for somewhat simple projects like a book shelf with a couple of drawers.

For pencil pointing here are my main four:

Lead Pointers.jpg

One is on the end of the electric eraser. Another is the red thing standing on end. Third is the Ko-I-Noor pointer and finally the Staedtlar Mars lead holder of a particular model came with a pencil pointer on the end. It can be removed for use. Their leads when bought in the dozen packs came with colored tips that could be installed in place of the pointer as a way to know which holders had which leads.

For supporting my drafting board when needed, two triangles were made. Here is one:

Draft Board Support.jpg

It has a 3/4" dowel to fit in a dog hole and a clamp or hold fast secures it to the bench. The dowel on the 30º end has a wood rail to fit on it for keeping pencils and stuff from falling off the board on to the floor.

My plan was to have an ogee curve at the top of the shelf. After penciling it in it seemed like it might be fun to draw the ogee with an ellipse instead of a circle:

Ogee Layout w:Ellipse.jpg

There are at least a half dozen wooden circles in my shop for layout work. This is my first ellipse. Will likely make more for other lumber sizes.

This will make a stretched ogee. Turning the ellipse 90º would make a compressed ogee. For those not up on the ellipse it is nothing more than a circle viewed at an angle. One definition is of it being made by a point in a plane scribing a constant distance from two other points on the same plane.

This one is an approximation of a circle tilted at 32º in the line of sight, if my calculations are correct.

Finally when one side is drawn to my satisfaction the information is transferred to the other side of the shelf unit:

Transfering Layout.jpg

The ogee will be transferred after the first one is cut or the two pieces can be held together to cut at the same time.

All that is left now is the saw and chisel work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

One more mostly amateur draftsman. Had 6 weeks of drafting in a high school woodworking class in the late 1960s, but there were two of us in the class that were good at math and we figured out how to do most of the more difficult drawing for the rest of the kids in the class.

I did get paid for some drafting at a couple of jobs I worked at. One was about 1/3rd of the time on the job, and was drawings of land usage, primarily using airplane taken land photographs, triangles, and architects rules. The other was at another job where the plant draftsman was tied up on a high priority job, and one of the bosses needed some preliminary drawings done on a big job. When my boss found out I could do and had done some drafting, my primary work was put on hold and I was "drafted" to use the plants back up drafting board to do the preliminary drawings. Once my drawings showed that the stuff could be built and everything would fit, they went ahead with the project, but of course the professional draftsman did the final drawings.

Now I still have my own low tech drafting stuff, some of it from 40+ years ago. It is quite low tech, "T"squares, triangles, engineering and architects rules, Pentel pencils, a drawing board I made a few years ago and an old (but functional) somewhat bigger commercial drawing board that the plant was going to throw out and gave to me that I use with the "T"squares, triangles, french curves, etc. (We are talking a 1940s (Maybe 1950s) wooden drawing board I think, but it has one of those nice green drafting pads that make it nice to work on.) I don't have a drafting machine, and don't have a place for one if I had it. I use my simple stuff once in a while, and it doesn't take up much room to store. The stuff is nice to have and I use it for bigger projects where just a free hand drawings with calculated and drawn in dimensions can some times get you into trouble.

I don't use the stuff enough to go a more high dollar route, and my stuff works for me.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 04-29-2017 at 11:28 PM.

Interesting thread! About 30 years ago I was a draftsman at Marquip, Inc. in Northern Wisconsin (They made equipment for the corrugated industry). Enjoyed my work but I left due to corporate politics and opened my art studio. Still have all my tools upstairs in a stack of boxes along with one of those nifty wooden tables.
    Too easy to use Sketch-Up these days for the simple projects I make but if I ever have time to unpack I think I'll set it up again just for fun! Thanks for the trip down Nostalgia Lane...
    Mike Schnorr
    CNCs - Camaster Stinger (25"x36"x5"), Shopbot (4'x4'), Roland Modela (6"x8"x2 3/8")
    Laser Engravers - Epilog Legend (12"x24" - 25W)
    Embroidery Machines - SWF t1501C, Brother BAS-416, Renaissance, Melco EMC1, Melco EP1

Blog Entries
    I architecture school, I learned drafting with lead holders and pointers. I was usually the one to do the presentation drawings at the architecture firms. I still have all the tools and use them. I have added sketchup for some uses. I'd like to have my house plans converted to Cadd.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"