Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Increase the swing of my Jet for one project

Ricc, why would you increase the swing for just one project? If you go to the bother of increasing it, why wouldn't you make it a permanent fix? I think that if I was going to do this, I would want to get more then one piece from it? It's not as easy or quick to do as it looks in Kyle's video, there's a fair amount of work involved.
    Len

[QUOTE=Len Mullin;2683473]Ricc, why would you increase the swing for just one project? If you go to the bother of increasing it, why wouldn't you make it a permanent fix? I think that if I was going to do this, I would want to get more then one piece from it? It's not as easy or quick to do as it looks in Kyle's video, there's a fair amount of work involved.
    Len[/QUOTEThought I would show the picture of the outboard stand Jet makes (Powermatic version identical). I thought I wouldn't use it that often but I did use it more than I thought. It is cast iron so very heavy. And it does give very good support. I can't remember what I paid but it was around $350 (still cheaper than a lathe upgrade)

Len, I was lookin for something quick and easy and most of all inexpensive since I'm on disability income. I can't afford something more permanent like the outboard turning rigs that Vicmarc or powermatic make as they are just not in my limited budget.

Ricc

Quote Originally Posted by Len Mullin View Post
    Ricc, why would you increase the swing for just one project? If you go to the bother of increasing it, why wouldn't you make it a permanent fix? I think that if I was going to do this, I would want to get more then one piece from it? It's not as easy or quick to do as it looks in Kyle's video, there's a fair amount of work involved.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by Ricc Havens View Post
    Len, I was lookin for something quick and easy and most of all inexpensive since I'm on disability income. I can't afford something more permanent like the outboard turning rigs that Vicmarc or powermatic make as they are just not in my limited budget.
    Ricc
    Then I would probably slide the headstock down to the end of the lathe and use 2x4s or something to make a strong frame to bolt or clamp to the leg of the lathe. Use wood to make some wooden tool rests that can be positioned and clamped or even fastened with screws and repositioned as needed. I knew one guy who made a long tool rest from scrap wood.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ricc Havens View Post

Ricc
    I don’t know how handy you are with working some basic iron pipes and bolts, but here is one a turner I know made for some outboard turning, should work for you, just adapt to what you have or can scrounge up.

Outboard turning stand 1.jpg
    Have fun and take care

Leo, I saw a bunch of pipe fittings in your pictures. I'm wondering how the person got the joints rigid? Just tighten the heck out of them? Pin them? Solder them? Or use thread-locker? When I've used threaded pipe for a project, it wasn't as rigid as I would have liked - - but I just tried to tighten the heck out of them....

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Leo, I saw a bunch of pipe fittings in your pictures. I'm wondering how the person got the joints rigid? Just tighten the heck out of them? Pin them? Solder them? Or use thread-locker? When I've used threaded pipe for a project, it wasn't as rigid as I would have liked - - but I just tried to tighten the heck out of them....
    Brice I do not know what he did to keep things from rotating, maybe used CA after tightening them well.

I do know that he made another one that was much more involved, and even that was not to his liking to use all the time, so he extended his stand and that was much better as he said, bought a large lathe a couple of years after.

Though to make clear the one I did post in the post to the OP, was for what he needed, one time use and cheap.

The oner ones here where by the same turner, and as you can see he did build them better.

outboard pipe stand .jpg outboard turning setup.jpg
    Have fun and take care