Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Increase the swing of my Jet for one project

Increase the swing of my Jet for one project

I was given an Australian Red Mallee burl. It's about 17-1/2" so it's a little too big for the swing of my Jet 1642. The weight of the burl is not an issue as it's not very thick - it's jusst too big in diameter. I do not want to cut it to fit and lose the natural edges of the burl. Unfortunately, I don't drive due to a vision issue and there is no club within a reasonable driving distance anyway. The closest clubs are over an hour or more away and none of the members live close to me either. So, finding someone with a bigger lathe isn't much of an option. Even if someone with a bigger lathe was close by I would rather have the option of turning it in my shop at my convenience since I may not have the time to do all the turning at one time.

Does anyone have any ideas, pics, plans, etc on increasing the swing by adding a homemade lowered bed extension since the headstock can be slid to the end of the lathe?

Or, Maybe plans, pics, etc of a floor standing or outboard tool rest that I can use the banjo on?

And even though I appreciate the offers of help by those of you who will suggest having me ship the burl to you - that's just not going to happen!!

Thanks
    Ricc Havens

Since your Jet 1642 has a movable headstock, is there any possibility of sliding it so the workpiece overhangs the other end? Then you might me able to construct an outboard stand to support your toolrest. Check out DIY Outboard Toolrests on google. Here's what I found on a quick search:
    http://www.woodturnersresource.com/e...tboardRig.html
    And it's for a Jet 1642 - go figure!
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Ricc, I have a 1642 (great lathe!) and tried sliding the headstock to the end and rigging a makeshift outboard support. It didn't work and was potentially quite dangerous. I bought the JET/Powermatic outboard stand which works very well (used it a number of times) but it was quite expensive. It is helpful reducing a block larger than 16" down to 16'' so the headstock can be slid back to allow you to turn normally. Great for large >16" platters too. Maybe others have cheaper solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by David Sloan View Post
    Ricc, I have a 1642 (great lathe!) and tried sliding the headstock to the end and rigging a makeshift outboard support. It didn't work and was potentially quite dangerous. I bought the JET/Powermatic outboard stand which works very well (used it a number of times) but it was quite expensive. It is helpful reducing a block larger than 16" down to 16'' so the headstock can be slid back to allow you to turn normally. Great for large >16" platters too. Maybe others have cheaper solutions.
    A friend of mine made an outboard tool rest for his lathe. He used a truck wheel on the floor and a vertical pipe, then for stability c-clamped it to the lathe with a couple of pieces of angle iron. He turned some pretty big bowls that way.

JKJ

Check out Kyle toth. He built his own riser blocks for the head and tail stock. He is crazy talented.

Here is a thread for a shop made bed extension - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ustard-Monster

You would need a long post tool rest, or an extender. You would also need to consider whether you need tailstock support. Here is a pic of the Laguna Revo extension which may give you some ideas.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Keeton; 04-21-2017 at 5:18 PM.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I was going to suggest riser blocks, but Sam beat me to it. Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5H_kqpvk30

Mark, thanks for posting the ourboard tool rest from Google. I see one of those in my future.

Jay

thanks guys for all the info. Now, I will look at all the info and see if I can find something I can do with my limited skillset and resources. Especially since I don't have a welder or know of someone who does have one

Keep the does coming if someone has something else to add

Ricc

The Jet 1640EVS comes with a 'Tool Rest Extension' (JWL1440-205) with a one inch post. I know the headstock on the 1642 doesn't pivot, but it may work if you were to slide it to the end of the bed ways.

Pictured as item J here.

Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 7.09.42 AM.png

Steve, Unfortunately that won't work. I need to slide the headstock to the end of the bed so the oversize burl will be able to spin without hitting the bed. As a result there is no where to put the banjo and tool rest. If my headstock did pivot then maybe this would have been an option.

Thanks
    Ricc

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Arnold View Post
    The Jet 1640EVS comes with a 'Tool Rest Extension' (JWL1440-205) with a one inch post. I know the headstock on the 1642 doesn't pivot, but it may work if you were to slide it to the end of the bed ways.

Pictured as item J here.

Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 7.09.42 AM.png

A discussion on this came up today at a club gathering. Best suggestion was a 12" sono-tube about 2' long, a 1" ID pipe, some scrap plywood and two bags of concrete. Weighs about 175# but rolls easily once you push it over at an angle. Drill and thread the pipe to hold a bolt to lock the tool rest in place, use the plywood to block the bottom of the sonotube and make some holes for bolts in the bottom end of the pipe to lock it in place in the concrete.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Ricc Havens View Post
    Steve, Unfortunately that won't work. I need to slide the headstock to the end of the bed so the oversize burl will be able to spin without hitting the bed. As a result there is no where to put the banjo and tool rest. If my headstock did pivot then maybe this would have been an option.

Thanks
    Ricc
    Of course Ricc, I don't know what I was thinking.

I hope you're able to come up with a reasonably priced solution.

Thom, was that just someone's brainstorming idea about the sonotube or did someone actually do it and speak from his experience? Sounds like an easy idea but I'd rather know if someone did it with success before I tried it!!

Thanks
    Ricc

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    A discussion on this came up today at a club gathering. Best suggestion was a 12" sono-tube about 2' long, a 1" ID pipe, some scrap plywood and two bags of concrete. Weighs about 175# but rolls easily once you push it over at an angle. Drill and thread the pipe to hold a bolt to lock the tool rest in place, use the plywood to block the bottom of the sonotube and make some holes for bolts in the bottom end of the pipe to lock it in place in the concrete.

Yes. One of our members who runs a cabinet shop made that. A couple of others used truck wheels but complained that they were not as stable as they would like.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).