Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanks again to super glue. (Warning: slightly graphic pic)

Thanks again to super glue. (Warning: slightly graphic pic)

I generally buy 12 packs of super glue and keep a few in various places for primarily first aid reasons and occasional project repairs. The other day, entirely by my own fault, I took a 3/4" 'shield' of skin and flesh from my thumb with a freshly sharpened chisel. I looked at the wound, and was immediately thankful I didn't just put a chisel through my hand, and then looked over at the chisel. There on the chisel was this perfect surgically removed piece of tissue. My first thought was "Hey, this will fit perfectly back in the hole and I have superglue open and ready in my toolbox". I quickly slapped it back in place, dribbled some glue over the seam, covered with a bandage, and figured see what happens.

Well, the next day, I checked and the pale dead-looking piece had regained color and apparently "took". Now, four days later, you can see it healing nicely. The "gross" end is where I was racing against time and blood flow so it has made a scab. Anyway, it is sure going to beat a thick scab over a deep gouge taking a month to heal. I have used superglue and butterfly bandages a handful of times to suture some pretty ugly wounds over the years, and it is much better than alternatives in many cases. I have never done a tissue "graft" though, lol. I encourage everyone to have some handy.

wound.jpg

Blog Entries
    Hope it all heals well Noah.

Hope it isn't something my supper glue doesn't have to put back together.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Looks well on the way to a successful mend. SG is my go to stuff in the shop.

Works great for me too. I tore a fingernail kind of deep and used it til the nail grew back out. And blood is an excellent accelerator. Stings a little though.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Yeah, you are seeing more and more sutures being done with "surgical" super glue at hospitals. I am sure the hospital loves that they can slap a designation on some CA and charge 20x the normal price. In my experience SG seems to last just long enough to heal well and you don't get stitch scars. It also allows for a reasonable amount of work without fear of busting back open.

Good for you..hope it heals well and quickly...
    Jerry

I always glue cuts back together with super glue. I think it was developed for surgery,wasn't it?

Back in the 60's.a friend who worked for IBM gave me a bottle of this glue that no one ever had heard of before. It was used for gluing back together plastic gears in the then huge IBM computers. I was afraid to use it on guitars,but would get visitors to my shop to let me put a small drop on an index finger and thumb. Then,they'd press those fingers together. After 1 second,I'd tell them to take the fingers apart! They had a hard time doing it!!! They were suitably amazed. Finally,the bottle hardened up. No one had told me to keep it in the fridge. Lasted several months,though.

There actually is a difference between the stuff you buy at the hardware store and the medical stuff. Different formulation. From what I remember the hardware stuff is methy-2-cyanoacrylate or ethyl-2-cyanoacrylate. The medical stuff is 2-octyl cyanoacrylate. Apparently the 2 side effects from the hardware store stuff that make it not recommended is that it creates heat while curing (exothermic reaction) and it releases formaldehyde. Still, I use the hardware store stuff all the time with no ill effects. I keep thinking I might try to pick up some of the stuff they use at the vets, but I haven't yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Orr View Post
    Works great for me too. I tore a fingernail kind of deep and used it til the nail grew back out. And blood is an excellent accelerator. Stings a little though.

BTDT.

And, when you spill a bottle of thin sg, and it runs off your bench and onto your shorts, when the sg 'kicks off' it gets rather hot.

So, not only do you have shorts sg'd to your leg, you get a mild burn as well.

If I recall correctly, "super glue" was originally developed for gluing optics. It was also possible to "unglue" with a sharp rap -- again, if my recollection doesn't fail me.

The hospital "stitched" my wifes palm with super glue after a bad parrot bite had sliced it open.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ranck View Post
    There actually is a difference between the stuff you buy at the hardware store and the medical stuff. Different formulation. From what I remember the hardware stuff is methy-2-cyanoacrylate or ethyl-2-cyanoacrylate. The medical stuff is 2-octyl cyanoacrylate. Apparently the 2 side effects from the hardware store stuff that make it not recommended is that it creates heat while curing (exothermic reaction) and it releases formaldehyde. Still, I use the hardware store stuff all the time with no ill effects. I keep thinking I might try to pick up some of the stuff they use at the vets, but I haven't yet.
    Once did some work for Toagosei, a Japanese company that makes Krazy Glue, the product that made cyanoacrylate adhesive famous. I asked one of their chemists here in Tokyo at the time if there was any difference between the stuff sold as Krazy Glue and the product they sold for surgical purposes. I was told the formula was identical, and that the only difference was the packaging and the price. Obviously, he was not a marketing dude.

It is good stuff to have around the workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Cannon View Post
    If I recall correctly, "super glue" was originally developed for gluing optics. It was also possible to "unglue" with a sharp rap -- again, if my recollection doesn't fail me.

The hospital "stitched" my wifes palm with super glue after a bad parrot bite had sliced it open.
    Did you use it to glue the bird's beak shut?

BTW, I've tried quite a few CA glues. Some were great and others not so much. The store shelves have a great number of alternatives. gel, liquid, different set times, etc.
    Any preference price performance wise? (not medically speaking of course)
    Hopefully not too much of a thread hijacking.

I used to work as a bicycle mechanic and one of our other mechanics, who was is in his 40's and worked there part time to get discounts, really liked to show off his toe that one of his college roommates reattached for him. He had two roommates and one was in the later years of a doctorate in orthapedic surgery and one training to be an anesthetist. I forget how he lost the toe but but his roommates were home and the one had a suture kit along with the other necessary stuff at the house to practice with so they reattached it right in the kitchen. The orthapedic surgeon roommate wrote about it for his dissertation. Apparently, there is a small window of time, like Noah experienced, that tissue will keep right on living if you reattach it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Martin View Post
    BTW, I've tried quite a few CA glues. Some were great and others not so much. The store shelves have a great number of alternatives. gel, liquid, different set times, etc.
    Any preference price performance wise? (not medically speaking of course)
    Hopefully not too much of a thread hijacking.
    My most recent purchase was a dozen of superglue brand from amazon. I have had them about a year or so with no issues on shelf life (which can be a real issue). I can tell you don't use gel, and don't buy off-brand for most uses. There are some very good commercial grade/size brands out there if you use it a lot, but I tend to use a bit every so often so I get the tiny tubes of the name-brand.

By the way, the piece healed amazingly, but is notably pinker than the surrounding area. I suspect the body sends extra blood there for a while doing the final healing. See pic.
    healed.jpg