Thread: Homestead Heritage

Blog Entries

Homestead Heritage

I was surfing the web and ran across a rocking chair episode. I watched about 3 minutes of it and left. I didn't care much for the content.

I went to Paul Sellers classes at Homestead Heritage in Waco, Texas about 15 years ago (2002 I think).

I thought I might give a shout out for their program. After attending hand wood working classes at their facility, I enrolled in a Craftsman Rocker Class. I was there for over a week.
    It was a walnut chair with an upholstered seat cushion. The next class I attended was the Brazos Rocker class. I made a mesquite chair with a wooden seat.
    I have made chairs for my friends, children and grandchildren. I have two great grandchildren being rocked in my chairs. I've made eight chairs for family and friends.
    These chairs were made of maple, walnut, or oak. The curley maple and walnut chairs are the best looking.
    My chairs will be around after I'm gone.

If this interests you, check this website. I don't know why I'm posting this.

http://www.sustainlife.org/heritage-...f-woodworking/
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 04-21-2017 at 4:16 PM.

Thanks for the link Lowell. I have driven up to the Heritage Compound? Village? Recreation? Anyway, I found it very interesting and would like to make a return trip to go over what I ran out of time for the first time. Perhaps a class may be in the works one day. Chairs would be it I believe.
    David

Thanks for the link. Looks like they also do some onlne classes as well.

Just signed up for their Newsletter....
    Maybe I could do a better job next time on one of these...
    front view.jpg
    The Boss has claimed this one as HERS! I might have to make one for me...

Blog Entries
    Google "Brazos Rocker". I took that class.

Thats really nice. I would very much like to do a rocking chair class and build a couple rocking chairs. My Mom has one from her grandmother that rocked my grandfather when he was a baby... Its a very comfortable chair. And rocks well. I would someday like to build a copy (of two) of that chair.

Blog Entries
    This is over a year later, I'm curious if you ever got to the class and made a chair.
    I sat in my chair today.