Thread: Table Saw selection

Table Saw selection

Used TS's around my neck of the woods are few and far between and typically way overpriced.

I am currently looking at 2 used saws, if anyone has any input I would be very greatful.

The first is listed for $325 on FB, the owner is moving and can not take it with him.
    Ridgid TS3650

The second is a guy that is downsizing, he has 3 TS's, makes cabinets part time. This saw was found via word of mouth, not listed anywhere.
    Powermatic Artisan 61a $500 price tag.

I know how much they cost new, neither seems like a "great deal" to me, but I may be way off base with my assumption (hence this post).
    I currently use a portacable portable saw, which does not perform for my needs AT ALL. I may be able to negotiate the prices down, I haven't tried yet.

Both saws looks to be in good shape from pictures, I haven't seen either in person. The PM has an ACCU-Fence.

Should I hold out for a used cabinet saw?? Thanks for any input!
    PM.jpgRidgid.jpg

Also I did not see a place for introductions, but I am fairly new to "woodworking" I have general construction experience, but I am learning actual woodworking. I have all the equipment needed less a good table saw. I am a fulltime RN and dad of 2 and I'm going back to school to become a nurse practitioner and live in Northwest Florida.

I have a 3650. i am perfectly happy with it for now. I picked mine up in nearly new condition from a small hobby shop for $300. the fence is true, the slots are in line with the blade and fence. It locks down square. I don't think the pm is worth 200 more than the ridgid. It is light years better than any portable i have used, including the dewalt.

also, welcome to the Creek.
    Last edited by Adam Herman; 04-21-2017 at 5:06 PM.

Both good contractor saws. The PM looks like a PM64a. Both are worth a look and an offer if they check out. Powermatic is the Cadillac name, but in this case its just a nice Taiwanese contractor saw with a good fence, solid wings, and a mobile base. With good setup and good blade selection both can be very serviceable saws.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I think I am going to wait for a bit, I just got a new jessem router table (traded for a RAS) so I can keep myself distracted for a little while..
    My original plan was to get a cabinet saw, but these 2 saws just happened to fall in my lap.
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I’ll update as soon as I get something.
    Sidenote I called the local shop in town that sells woodworking gear, the person I spoke to wrote my name and # down and will call when they have a used TS come in. They sell SawStop and when people come in to buy a new TS they are typically trying to get rid of their old TS, she said it happens about 3x a month.