Thread: What can I do to restore 2 Disston Tri-Squares?

What can I do to restore 2 Disston Tri-Squares?

I would like to make these useful. I don't do much precise work - kitchen drawers or restoring a dresser are typical projects. How often do you use a tri-square?

1. Is there anything I can treat the metal with that would ever make the inch markings visible?
    2. Is there any way to improve the wood and brass look? They are OK now, but they could look better.

Thanks!

I'm attacking my endless pile of "stuff." Each item seems to turn into another project These don't seem to have much value on eBay, so I figure I will just keep them to use in my workshop. Looking beautiful is good, being readable is good.

Tri-Square 01s.jpg Tri-Square 02s.jpg Tri-Square 03a.jpg Tri-Square 04s.jpg
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...

Blog Entries
    I would remove the grunge and polish them, wood and steel. I would start with steel wool. I personally think old tools look better polished rather than new varnish.

There is a paste at a sporting goods store...Gun Blue Paste. I apply a layer to the metal, allow it to sit a bit, and wipe off the excess. Then some fine sandpaper on a flat block of wood, sand the metal down. Etches being lower than the surrounding steel will stay "blued". Numbers on a steel square can be the same.

As for the wood...usually it is a rosewood. Any finish applied to it, will turn it black.

Blog Entries
    That's why I said polish. Waxed is a better word.

I couldn't make out any markings. Are you sure they ever had any? Well,the lower one in pic.#1 sees to have some under the rust. My suggestion is to use a SQUARE JACK. Put the old square under the jack. Jack it up and pit a newer ,more legible square under it!!
    Last edited by george wilson; 04-22-2017 at 8:15 AM.

Blog Entries
    I don't measure with squares, I square with squares. I measure with rulers. I use the extension on my 72" folding carpenter's rule.
    I had a 96" rule at one time. I will look for another one.

I found one, but they want $30 for it. Oh Well
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 04-22-2017 at 9:54 AM.

The #1 did indeed have markings, the #5 did not. Those are early squares, likely civil war era. The later #1s had a trifoil brass piece instead of the 4 way affair you have. I would take a sharp, new, single edge razor blade and work at it at an angle. Go at an angle to the markings or it will dig in and mar the razor blade edge and scratch the square. You should quickly see some marks emerge. You should also see Henry Disston in an arch on the blade on the side with the blade facing to the left as you hold the stock. Once you have all the rust off with the razor you can get, you can move to using some silicon carbide sand paper, a block and mineral spirits. I wouldn't get too ambitious with it. Its never going to look new, and trying to make it look new will likely destroy the square.

Having said all that, before you start, you may want to check to see if it's square with a reference square. If not, might be a big waste of time. There are ways you can tap the spot where it is fixed to the wood part of the stock to bring it into square, but, it's not easy and yields variable results.

Check it out and report back back with your progress.

What it looked like new.

No1.jpgno1_box.jpg

And what Mine look like now..
    DSCF0001.JPG
    Large square is still readable....
    DSCF0002.JPG
    Right down to the patent date...
    DSCF0003.JPG
    Handle seems to be Rosewood...brass plate is held in place with screws
    DSCF0004.JPG
    Smaller one has no numbers ( and i have a smaller one, yet)
    DSCF0005.JPG
    Brass extension on the 72" folder Lufkin...
    DSCF0006.JPG
    Rosewood, and Brass, steel leg has a Made in USA stamp. This is the small one...there is a 12" one in the shop, as well.
    DSCF0007.JPG
    Yes, the shop has a marking knife...hand forged, by Super Dave Bardin....