Thread: How do I get my jointer up the bulkhead?

How do I get my jointer up the bulkhead?

I will be moving sometime in the near future. That in itself is stressful enough, but moving my (basement) shop scares the hell out of me. Most tools can be broken down into smaller pieces, but how do I get a 500 lb., six foot long jointer up the bulkhead? Getting it down was fairly easy. I built a ramp out of 2 x 6's and slid the crates down the ramp. Should I build a crate for it (less the stand and motor), build another ramp and use a come-along to pull it up out of the basement? I can't be the first person to move a basement shop, so how did you do it?
    Dick

There are a number of these types of threads. Your come along idea is a good one.

When I've moved my 8" jointer up stairs (3 times) we hand 4 people man handle it. Ok, one time 2 giant Tongans moves it.

The other way to do it is to unbolt the jointer from the base and then bolt long 2x4's to the bottom of the base to use like stretcher arms. 2 guys can move it then. Could even the use some of those shoulder slings that safe movers and refrigerator movers use.

I have a basement shop and when we do eventually move, I plan to breakdown machines as necessary and rent a lectro truck (battery powered stair climbing hand truck). Can't beat it for something like $30/day. I highly suggest you look into them.

Yes, ramp and come-along or equivalent winch. Or better yet...hire a rigger and watch them do it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Or better yet...hire a rigger and watch them do it.
    +1 - at least get a price

I vote hire a rigger and pop a cold one while you watch them work their magic.

If you go the come-along route, I would look into getting a rope come-along. Instead of a cable that you have to reset every 6-8 ft, you can thread an appropriately sized rope through it and just keep cranking it. No stopping to reset, which is never any fun.

A rigger, as in a professional mover of large (LARGE) and heavy (HEAVY) things? That's going to cost a pretty penny. Piano movers would probabaly be cheaper. A 500 pound jointer isn't very big.

Good suggestion on the rope come along.

In this case, I agree we can use the term "rigger" in a more general sense, but I know that at this point in my life, if I had to move something heavy like that, especially up stairs, I'd hire the job out for my own personal safety and to insure there are enough hands (and backs) to do it fully damage free. And damage isn't just about the tool...it's about the physical space it's being moved to/removed from, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

How easy is it to remove the tables? wedge+gib is not hard. And they should be removed,cleaned, lubed once in a while. parallelogram I have no idea.

I would consider a couple options:

1. Get a quote for a rigger to do it. If a reasonable price can be found, hire them. Make sure they are insured for workman's comp and liability.

2. If you do it yourself, make a ramp. Consider making a platform with large wheels. Block (so it can't slip off the cart) and strap the jointer to the platform. Use a come-along and winch it up the ramp.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Yes.. Paying somebody to do this is money well spent. The guys who do this are pro's.... They have all the tools and stuff to move it. And... They have workmans comp if they get hurt on the job...