Thread: Road Trip find

Road Trip find

While on the road to pick up the two GrandBRATS, stopped in a little store in Brandt,OH.

Lots of rusty and krusty stuff on the shelves.....most I either had one of, or just plain junk...however..
    DSCF0001.JPG
    Spotted this thing....1" wide chisel....$0.75? ( was marked as $1, but got a discount...)
    Steel ferrel instead of brass..
    DSCF0003.JPG
    and a leather washer on the end...
    DSCF0002.JPG
    Handle was a bit too dried out....we have ways
    Not wanting to take it apart, and I do not soak stuff in the shop....but..
    DSCF0005.JPG
    I think it looks a tad bit better, now
    DSCF0006.JPG
    wipe on, wipe off BLO to cure the dried out handle....need to learn how to sharpen these things..
    DSCF0004.JPG
    This was where the bevel was. It was a bit crooked, too. Hopefully, I have it straightened out.
    For 75 cents...I think it just may do...
    BTW: total length of this chisel is a nice 11-3/4" from washer to bevel's edge. just a little one

Anyone have a clue as to the maker of this chisel? Nothing is left of any stamp....rather a fancy handle...

I'm having about as much luck finding info on this gouge, as I am on a Spear & Jackson gouge......as for that Schmidt & Co....nada.

Road trip find is a 1" wide gouge, not a lot of "sweep" to it.

Ok...as for the Rod Trip gouge.....the handle style and shape seem to match an old Buck Brothers ( NOT the Homedepot ones) chisel I have in the shop. Instead of steel, the chisel has a Brass ferrel. Otherwise, the shape, and the leather washer match. The gouge is a slightly bigger handle....about what you'd expect between a 3/8" wide firmer chisel, and a 1" wide gouge. Not all that sure about "sweep" sizes....I just measured the overall width of the gouge.

As for the Spear & Jackson gouge...very little curve to the blade, just enough to make it a gouge. Blade width is 1/2". Plain wood handle, no leather washers. Not meant to be pounded on...nothing comes up on Google about it, either.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    need to learn how to sharpen these things..
    Sadly, I am NOT an expert on how to sharpen these, but, I do have a jig for my Tormek for the back bevel. You gave me one of these, it is my only gouge.

First, I wrapped sandpaper around a dowel and I used that for the inside polishing.

For the outer bevel, I used the tormek.....

Happy to try and sharpen it for you....

Blog Entries
    Steven, I haven't been paying much attention to this thread. I agree that it looks like a Buck Bros. product.

Mary May has done a few episodes with Roy on The Woodwright's Shop. One of them she shows here method of sharpening gouges. She has the stone sideways and does a swaying motion side to side with her body while moving the gouge in a figure eight and rolling it from edge to edge at the same time.

Though water stones are my favorite sharpening media my gouges tend to be kept on my oilstones because of the ease at which they can gouge a water stone or wear a trench in the surface.

Of course if the bevel is on the inside one needs to get a set of slip stones.

Some like to have a slight bevel opposite of the main bevel. For carving I like an outside bevel. For cutting molding an inside bevel helps in some situations. My thought is to have both in the most used sizes.

My stropping is done with soft leather on a wooden form either rounded convex or hollowed concave. Mary May also shows her shop made stropping set up on one of Roy's programs.

When you can cut across grain without separating the grain, the tool is likely sharp enough.

There are many sweep charts online, here is one:

http://www.diefenbacher.com/sweeps.htm

There are slight differences between different European makers and American makers. Some are all metric some are inch and some are a measuring system unique on to itself.

At one time I made a spread sheet of my gouges to carry with me while rust hunting. Now if a gouge looks decent and is at a good price I buy it and figure it'll get sorted out later.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

some of the old chisels have the name on the tang.

IF there was any...they be long gone now.

Will look into the sharpening stuff. Might see what I can come up with...no rush, yet.

Ok, picture time, again..
    DSCF0001.JPG
    Other than the big chisel, all the rest are stamped as Buck Brothers.....with the "Stag" logo.
    The three small ones are more for hand work, rather than a mallet?
    DSCF0002.JPG
    Mallet Impact Zones..
    DSCF0003.JPG
    Close enough for a match?

Amazing how well that crust of rust cleaned up!