Thread: How to remove smell of engraved wood from finished piece?

Question How to remove smell of engraved wood from finished piece?

I engrave fairly large areas of wood for signs I am making. The smell of burnt wood on the actual piece itself is fairly strong, like if you move the finished piece to another room then that room will soon be noticeably full of burnt wood odour.

I have used acetone and even baby wipes in the past to remove the smell by wiping over the piece but the moisture from both affects the grain (raising it) and darkening it in a slight splotchy affect. Neither is good.

Can anyone recommend anything else? I'm thinking of trying a strong fan pointed at the piece next....

(the smell fades naturally in about 48 hours but I would prefer to not have to wait 48 hours to give it to my customer)

I'm amazed at how many of my customers actually like the smell!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    I'm amazed at how many of my customers actually like the smell!
    What he said.

If there are large engraved areas, the possibility of soot rubbing off is usually more of a problem, so I usually seal it with a quick spray of shellac anyway.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    Don't Wait!
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Wop

I apply a coat of Wipe on Poly. It's a thin, foolproof finish.
    Robin
    Bluebird Woodcrafts

Just a polite bump and a re-request that if anyone has any ideas to remove the smell from engraved wood, not using water based methods, I would greatly appreciate it. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    What he said.

If there are large engraved areas, the possibility of soot rubbing off is usually more of a problem, so I usually seal it with a quick spray of shellac anyway.
    +1 for shellac.

Quote Originally Posted by paul simonson View Post
    Just a polite bump and a re-request that if anyone has any ideas to remove the smell from engraved wood, not using water based methods, I would greatly appreciate it. thanks
    Shellac is not water based, neither is most Poly. I just seal with spray on lacquer. or plan B tell the customer smell will go away in a few days.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

vacuum cleaner & brush attachment- run it over the surface and suck up the soot that's causing the smell...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Again, have you had a complaint from a customer? ANY coating will change the look, Kev's advice is best unless you want to make your work look different. Otherwise, fergit and sell it!
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    vacuum cleaner & brush attachment- run it over the surface and suck up the soot that's causing the smell...
    Thanks Kev for your useful reply that was relevant to my original question

You will find relevant or not part of the burnt smell is embedded in the wood that is burnt. Coating is the fastest and most sure method.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I'm with John Lifer on this. I sell a lot of wood-related products and I receive quite a few positive comments on the scent of the wood. They usually make some sort of reference on how this must have "just been made for them" and they like that personal touch.

What you don't mention is what type of wood you are using and if you are using any products on it before or after engraving. Perhaps if you provide more details about the wood itself, we might be able to offer more useful answers for you.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Blog Entries
    Look, I'm a woodworker that has lasers. I Love the smell of wood, I love the smell of cedar. But I can't hardly work it as the smell is overpowering and tends to be just too much while I work with it. But once done, and a couple of days later it just smells great. Somewhat of the same thing, my room stinks after running a lot of wood, but each piece isn't bad taken by itself......
    Take the advice you've been given. Do with it what you want. There is nothing you can really do to eliminate the smell entirely without time or changing the look.
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser