Thread: Router plate install ??

Question Router plate install ??

Guys, I'm hoping to work with the following template jig and a 3/4" template router bit.
    router plate jig.jpg
    As you can see the radius in the corner is not right, just not sure how to fix it.
    router plate corner.jpg
    I was told by Woodpecker that the radius was .74.

You could either fill in the corner on the template or use a larger diameter router bit.
    The first would be tricky and the second expensive unless you happen to have one.
    I would probably just live with it. What harm is it?

If I understand correctly your router bit has a 3/8" radius with a bearing over it. With a template with square corners you would need a 1 1/2" diameter bit that would have a .75" radius. You could make a template out of plywood or mdf and trace the base on it and use a 1 1/2" drill bit to drill the corners first to the correct radius then cut the straight parts. Then you should get a fit.

Wade, this was just on a sample piece so I want to make right for the top. My math let me down on this one.

You're absolutely right with the math. I was thinking about doing the drill bit solution but would like to learn how to do it correctly.

Yup, radius is 3/4, so the diameter router but needed is 1 1/2, with top bearing.

I recently installed a plate and got my bit from routerbitworld for $26 and change shipped. Item FREUD 16-528. I'd send you mine but shipping both ways would just about buy you your own bit.