Thread: Maple Bowl

Maple Bowl

Just finished a simple maple bowl. I used my new vicmarc 120 chuck and various jaws and I have to say I love this chuck. It is so nice turning with a large chuck like this.

Pictures of the bowl. Not a statement piece by any means but I'm still learning. Coated with simply Howards Orange Oil / Beeswax stuff

You are getting there. I would recommend your next challenge to be an hemispherical interior as this will help you develop tool skills and eliminate the abrupt transition to a flat bottom.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    You are getting there. I would recommend your next challenge to be an hemispherical interior as this will help you develop tool skills and eliminate the abrupt transition to a flat bottom.
    I've done some that way also. I'm all over the place in what each one looks like but I guess I've posted more flat bottom bowls than otherwise. Probably more to do with the shallow pieces of wood I've been using I guess. Will try to push more in that direction on a few though. Thanks.

Nice work Greg! I used the Howard's Orange stuff too and seems to do a nice job. I'm currently pursuing a buffing system that will hopefully improve my finishes. Some of the videos on YouTube show some impressive results, especially when an oil is applied before the wax.