Thread: Buffing System Decisions?

Buffing System Decisions?

After doing a fair amount of research I'm leaning in the direction of the following buffing system. Before pulling the trigger I thought it might be a good idea to run it past the experts here, especially since this is all new to me. The basis for the system is the Beall Wood Buff Kit and Bowl Buff Kits, both 2" and 3". To this I plan to add the Hold Fast Spindle Extender that will match the threads on my lathe. I would also like to use the setup (with different wheels) for some metal polishing. Anyone use a similar setup? Any better ideas?

I would get the 3" buffs for the inside of bowls and the 8" wheels for the outside of bowls, platters, hollow forms etc.

NOT AN EXPERT, but:

I just got the Beale system and I'm very pleased so far. I have the 3" bowl buffs. Obviously they won't fit where a 2" will fit but then they cover a little larger area.

This has vastly improved the appearance of my finish but I've quickly learned that the prep prior to buffing is very important. There's no substitute for getting a really smooth, ridge free finish prior to buffing. Not my favorite part of the process!

BTW I haven't used the wax yet because wax finishes have always disappointed me by being so prone to being marred by light use. Maybe the pure carnauba is different. I know that's a pretty hard wax.

Also, watch the aluminum mandrel. Just a light brush against it will leave a black mark.
    RD

On second thought after reading the above I may opt out of the 2" bowl buffs for now. The 3" may be enough.

I am not an expert, but do buff with Tripoli a lot. I find the 8" (12" if you can find it) extension on lathe is the way to mount the buffing wheel or bowl buff. I have made 4" and 6" wheels for buffing and find them easier/better for small diameter bowls, as long as the diameter is not much larger than the inside diameter of bowl. Buffing wheels tend to grab on edge and I have lost several pieces with wheel gabbing and throwing the piece across shop. I do not use the White Diamond compound am satisfied with the buffing of Tripoli and final coat of Renaissance wax lightly buffed instead of using Carnauba which is more sensitive to water and moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    I am not an expert, but do buff with Tripoli a lot. I find the 8" (12" if you can find it) extension on lathe is the way to mount the buffing wheel or bowl buff. I have made 4" and 6" wheels for buffing and find them easier/better for small diameter bowls, as long as the diameter is not much larger than the inside diameter of bowl. Buffing wheels tend to grab on edge and I have lost several pieces with wheel gabbing and throwing the piece across shop. I do not use the White Diamond compound am satisfied with the buffing of Tripoli and final coat of Renaissance wax lightly buffed instead of using Carnauba which is more sensitive to water and moisture.
    It was difficult finding an 8" extender to match threads on my lathe, which are M33 x 3.5. Who makes one 12" long. It would be an easy make on my metal lathe except for the metric threads.