Thread: Stripper/finish question

Stripper/finish question

I'm refinishing an oak veneer table. I used KleenStrip Premium stripper...easy enough. Followed up with a light sanding at 320 grit, then a wipe down with DNA.

I applied a first application of Watco medium walnut and after wiping off I have white in the pores. Is that a residue of the stripper? Or is it just the nature of the oak? I know in the old days stripper contained a lot of wax and needed washing with TSP (which I didn't do). I don't mind redoing this...any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Phil

IMG_0543.jpg

This particular stripper does call for rinsing after using the stripper--in particular paint thinner. That could account for the coloration in the pores. It means the pores could contain stripper residuals and sanding dust that would be a challenge to remove/

That's not only thing that could cause the issues in the pores. White oak may have pores whose interior material keeps color from sticking. The solution for that is a pigmented stain before final finishing.
    s

Thanks Steve. So much for reading instructions. I went back and scrubbed it well with paint thinner...will give it another dose of Watco tomorrow to see what I get. Just from the initial looks, though, it seems it may be the type of oak that's keeping the color from sticking...we'll see.

Steve's right about needing to neutralize KleanStrip Premium. I like the look of you have now; very mid-century modern, but I guess that's not what you're after. Assuming you want it all uniform, the next coat of Watco may do it. Apply plenty, and rub it in with a circular motion, then wipe it off. You might even try wet sanding it so the slurry will fill the pores, before wiping off the excess. And as Steve said, if that doesn't work, a pigmented stain will fill those white pores for sure.

John

Thanks John. Actually, I'm not opposed to the look either, but it's a friend's table and not really uniform. I did do a wet sand on the second application and the slurry did help to reduce it some. I think one more coat/wet sand and we'll be calling this good.