Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone sign projects they have made?

Every piece, name, city, and date only. Some of my pieces will outlive me by many decades, maybe more. I'd like people to know who made them.

John

I have a rubber ink stamp with my company name on it that I occasionally use.

I apply my name with a branding iron......Rod.

4. I only sign the musical instruments that I sell. The laser printed label has the company name, the model name, a serial number that includes an obvious year, and my initials in pencil.
    Last edited by Pete Staehling; 04-25-2017 at 7:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I have a branding iron with my name on it and I also embed a penny of the current year on the back or out of sight area next to the brand. Everyone that gets something I have made really like the idea of the penny.

Nice idea.... but they took away our pennies up here!!!!

A past employer usually encouraged it and I usually did it on any "good" piece I made after leaving that outfit. Had an F.B.I. agent contact me once about a piece and he knew to call me because of the signature. Spooky.

We just ordered one with our logo. Excited to use it!
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

My stuff is so bad I sign someone else's name.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Giacomo View Post
    My stuff is so bad I sign someone else's name.
    It is very rare that I laugh out loud. Thank you.

On a piece that I think might outlast me I sign, date, and note my city and state in pencil in an unobtrusive place, like on the bottom, underneath a drawer, or whatever. You'd have to be looking for markings to find it in most cases. I've often wondered about old pieces I've found, so I do it just in case someone in the future cares enough to go looking.

Blog Entries
    I sign and date with year most everything I make, and I do sell a lot of my work. For me it comes down to the fact that I have a few things that belonged to ancestors and they are very sentimental. If I were to have something that I know they had made with there own hands it would only add to its personal value.
    If your going to take the time to make something you should make something your willing to sign and date. If nothing more it is a way to measure your progression as a craftsman.
    I sign, date with year, and number my instruments. Signature on the inside of the top, year and serial number on the label inside.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

I have a brand with my name and city/town where I live. I also sign and date the item. They are custom made/engraved boxes. I put the into on the bottom of the box. I also make brass/wood telegraph keys for the ham radio community. I Sign and date those too. Not a big deal now but down the road it will help to locate where the item came from.
    Kelly Klaas K7SU
    Just a hobbyist wood and metal worker
    Universal Laser X2-660 75 watts
    CorelDraw X4
    Southern Idaho