Thread: Chance at a Delta Shaper. Whats it Worth??

Chance at a Delta Shaper. Whats it Worth??

Have a chance at an old Delta shaper. Looks like a "kiss'n cousin" to the old Unisaws with the cast iron base. 27" table with one table extension, shaper fence, both doors, 220 volt, one cutter. Table is rusty but not pitted. Can't see the h.p. on the motor. Needs cleaned and painted but is not beat up. Have an opinion??
    Thanks,
    Dick

I got one for (IIRC) around $450, including a Holzer power feeder. I had to rebuild the spindle, easy to do with instructions from the old machine group and about 20.00 of parts. Love the machine and use it far more than I ever thought I would. Mine is also 3 phase. For a machine, 220V single phase, with the spindle lock working and everything else decent, I would give $4to $450, without question.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Sounds like it needs some work (a good thing to me as I like doing it and it can lower the price lower). I'd throw out $250 (if single phase, $200 for 3 phase because I'd have to buy a VFD but I do like the reliability of 3 phase) and see what happens. I'm a bottom feeder though - I enjoy finding a deal and value the time it takes to rehab a machine so the price needs to be right.

Depending on age & use the spindle might need new bearings....not a job for most people to do.

Ed

I would say $300 max. It will Likely have only have a 3/4" spindle. The spindle cartridge probably needs replaced. The fence won't be great. You will get the privilege of hunting for Delta parts,

Yeah, I'd say $300-$400 also, but that depends on what it comes with.
    What model is it? 43-xxx
    Does the motor have a reversing switch?
    What size is the motor?
    Who makes the motor and does it have a two speed pulley?
    What size spindle is coming with it? 3/4" is OK an OEM 1" would be quite a gloat, a 1/2" spindle not so useful.
    The fence will be "not good". Plan on replacing it, like before you even buy it.
    The single cutter is worth nothing, unless it's one you want. Don't worry though, there are zillions of them on Ebay for less than $50 bucks a set.
    Parts are easy to find. The Delta 43-xxx shapers were made by the thousands and throughout all of the model years many of the parts remained unchanged form model, to model.

I paid considerably more that $300.00 for my used Delta 43-375, but it was complete, clean ,and ready to go to work as soon as I got it off the truck. They're a nice light duty shaper for the home shop.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Shapers are specialized machine not to many hobbyist type would go out and buy these or any others new.So we go to the used market looking for a good used machine that will help take our wwing projects up to the next level.So what's that worth to a person to have a stationary machine that if used safely and wisely will last another ww'ers life time.As you know these machines do way more than just edge work,can also do radius work as well.But wait lets look at it from another angle.Hey I use to was Norm,I built the router table then needed a PC 3hp router well what does that cost now days?Then you need that specialize fence that's been anodize to your favorite color.So by the end of the day for a router table setup you will have maybe 500 invested into a table.Which try to balance 10' piece of material on a router table,so which means your bout 10' away trying to see the bit making sure your up against the fence.But if you only had a shaper with power feed or maybe rollers that will hold down the board and rollers to keep the board up against the fence.So to me a good used shaper that is more unlikly will need the spindle rebuilt,that will have a 1.5 hp motor that maybe can be ran in reverse for those special projects and have a 3/4 spindle.So really its worth to you if you were either going to make yourself a router table setup or go with a shaper.Yes I have a shaper for mainly making stiles/rails and raise panels which I feel pickup at a bargin.And for piece of mine I had the spindle cartridge rebuilt by a guy over on OWWM and had him make me a spindle.Well worth the extra money.Like Cary I agree bout 300 if any extra's then I would go more.Watch some Utubes on what shapers will do,so much more than edge work.You better take pics and post them-----Carroll

Blog Entries
    I have an old (1960's) shaper. I bought it new for a bank job. I might use it once every two years.

I do have some old cutters for it and that is why I keep it.

I agree router tables are the way to go now.

Have you checked the cost of cutters?

Hello Dick, the shaper you describe I would probably pass on.

Shapers live or die based mostly upon their fences. Most Delta shapers I've seen had pretty poor fences.

As a hobby user, I wouldn't be without a shaper, they have capabilities, capacities, and safety features that leave routers in the dust, not to mention that HSS cutters are inexpensive and provide great surface finish in solid wood.

I would look for a more competent shaper, however I really think you're on the right track with a shaper.......Rod.

Well, I bit the "Ole Arn" bullet again and bought the shaper. Looks like a model 43. Did I say the price was $25. but talked them down to $20. with it loaded in my P.U. Brought it home, worked around the 110 plug on a 220 configuration, hit the switch and it runs smooth as can be. One h.p. motor. Needs cleanup, new wires, paint, and some sort of switch enclosure as the original is gone. Would post pictures but can't seem to get it to work. Someone want to walk me through doing it??? Will probably keep the old girl around and pet it once in a while as I walk by but sell it later as I always need the room in my shop for another "Have to have project"
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick Brown; 04-24-2017 at 1:55 PM.

Suprise ya didn't charge him to hall it away....