Thread: Edge grain table top help

Edge grain table top help

I am currently building a 32x48 Cherry and Poplar table. The center is edge grain 4/4 cherry. First cut into 3 inch wide sections, 32+ inches long, glued together along the face, and ripped into one inch thick, two inches wide strips. Turned 45 degrees so the edge grain is facing up, and then all glued together. ( In sections, so I could plane them again) The edges of the table are 8/4 Poplar, with a inset cut into the inside edge, so the edge grain portion will rest on one inch of the side, along the entire 48 inch lenth of the table. I plan to attatch the cherry part of the table to the Poplar part of the table with Z clips.

So here is my question. Can I make the ends, in a T shape, so the entire border is 2 inch poplar, and attatch it to the cherry. I wouldn't connect it to the sides so the wood could still move.

Ive tried to draw a picture of what I am speaking of. Hope it helps. Suggestions, comments, and critique's always welcome.

Scan_20170423.png

Blog Entries
    Is this what you mean?
    Capture.JPG
    If it is then, yes you can make your edge piece as shown with the grain orientation the way you described, but you will need to allow of wood movement in your table top as it will expand and contract more than your edge band will. You will need slots in the underside of the table top for screws or pegs to hold the edging in place while allowing movement.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Here is picture with the top sitting in the sides. In the upper left corner you can see the inset where the cherry portion of the top rests on the 48 inch edge. Which direction should I expect the edge grain center to move?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My biggest concern with your design is the poplar edge. I think that thick poplar will be more of a problem as regards to wood movement than the cherry center.
    I can envision the top being twisted out of shape by the poplar sides - maybe slightly but twisted nonetheless.

Do you need the poplar edges? Might be better to rip those into 4/4 or 5/4 rips - get rid of the rabbet - and orient them to the cherry in the same edge grain up orientation. The side pieces could simply be glued on as part of the over all top. Then attach your T-shaped pieces at the ends as Lee illustrated and described.

In this case I think that most of the wood movement will be up and down (underside to face) rather than side to side as with a conventional face grain laid up table. I'd seriously reconsider those thick poplar edges.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Sam,
    Honest question. Would the poplar twist the center because it contracts on it?
    It was my intention to glue the sides to the Cherry center, and use an unglued bridle joint, T joint, or half lap to attach it to long sides pictured. My thought was the long sides move inward and outward either towards the center, or the outer edge. Am I wrong? It was my thought that if the center didn't move up and down, it would move towards the short outer edges. That part I got wrong. I appreciate your information.

My other thought was to glue up another edge grain up section, but only two inches wide, bevel the edge at 45 degrees inward, and attach it under this one. Giving the illusion of a thicker table top therefore eliminating the need for the Poplar edge.

Lastly. I could do what you said, but I could just use Cherry all the way around. I have TONS of it. (over 500 bd ft) It all has beautiful figured grain. I think you idea might be the best way.

Thank you, and everyone else on this awesome forum for the advice. I am a novice at this. This is my first table and I want it to be built to last for many, many, many years.. It is a gift for some people who are really wonderful people, they have six children, and are always helping people from their church despite not having much extra. They believe that God will always provide. I know they could never afford a table like this. I can afford to build it, It is a labor of love, and honestly, I like doing nice things for good people.

I will attach pictures whenever I get it finished.

Hi Mark,

My thinking is that the thick poplar in that orientation will be inclined to curve up or down in it's length while also shrinking in/out relative to the cherry. If these edges go in different directions you could likely end up with an unflat table. My other - unspoken - thought was that the poplar is a visual compromise to the cherry as well. As you have extra cherry - YES - use it. The end product will be so much nicer. It is rare that a mixed wood project looks as good in real life as it does on the drawing board. Much more elegant to be of one species IMHO.

The poplar could serve well as a paint grade base for your cherry nicely figured top. There are much better woods that you could use to compliment the cherry especially if you intend all to be clear finished.

I would not hesitate to add another bit of thickness of cherry to your existing top. Perhaps keep it in from the edge an 1/8" to a 1/4" to create a shadow line and add to the visual effect of a thicker top. Create a 1/4" flat on the top edge of the new bottom piece before cutting your 45° angle. You don't want to create knife edges.

A wonderful gift. Thanks for putting out some good and kind effort into the world. Your table will be loved.

Cheers, Sam
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 04-23-2017 at 2:34 PM. Reason: spell check
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Thanks Sam,
    I was going to stain the poplar. But I think I will just save it to make the legs for the next table, a full sized table, also for the same people. This was the learning table. I have already made the legs out of pine, stained Java, with cherry inserts. (Pic included, they aren't finished. Still pretty rough at this point.20170408_193842[1].jpg) Thanks again for all the advice. You guys are fantastic.