Thread: New Shop Layout

New Shop Layout

Hello,
    I have a chance to build a new shop from scratch. Working with my new landlord to build a new garage in back of the two flat dedicated only to my shop. No cars. The garage will be 20x22, insulated, heated, and with an insulated garage door. In the diagram you see where I am envisioning putting things. I plan to put a 4 inch pipe across ceiling from the dust collector and then bring down hoses for other tools. Dust for the table saw right across the floor there maybe. I also have a router buried in the outfeed table that will get a dust pipe. My main idea is to build that floating, long cabinet for the sander, drill press, and sliding miter saw. The miter saw will be used on one side of the table with it's rack sticking over on the other side. Neither the saw nor the drill press work well on a cabinet against a wall thus the floating idea. This long cabinet will house most of the hand tools in the many drawers.

I don't really have a work bench like the one shown but I do have one that is about the size show.

Open to all ideas especially regarding dust collection. I've read threads about plastic/metal pipe and probably going metal with flexible plastic to the various tools.

Thanks!

Scott
    Chicagoshop set up.jpg

Scott, congrats on the new build.

One obvious topic jumps out - 4 inch pipe for DC. Think this is too small and would recommend running 6 inch even if you have a single stage DC and 4 inch ports on your tools. Your losses from duct will be smaller and it will take care of potential upgrades.

In terms of plastic/metal duct - both work well and having installed both I prefer plastic as its quicker to build out and fittings can be cheaper (although pipe was more expensive from my research).

Am assuming the bandsaw is mobile otherwise it looks like you have tight working space for larger material given it's current location?

Andy,
    Thanks re: the 6 inch pipe. Yes the band saw is on wheels or will be placed differently than shown.

Scott