Thread: Woodworkers Hardwood Pack from Lumber Liquidators - Any good?

Woodworkers Hardwood Pack from Lumber Liquidators - Any good?

Does anyone have any experience with Lumber Liquidators Hardwood pack? It's 300 BF of leftover hardwood.

http://www.lumberliquidators.com/sho...product_id=306

The price last time I checked was around $50. I need about 100 BF of lumber in max lengths of 32" and 3/4" thick.

I have a table saw and a router I can setup for jointing. I'm not really concerned that the wood all match. I kind of like the idea of using different types. With a little luck, it could be nice.

Anyways, great site.

- Kenny King
    (el cheapo)

No experience with them, but that is an interesting proposition at less than 17 cents per board foot. Might be worth looking into more....

I've heard of horry stories about guys trying that route. He ended up with all edge trim not even 3/4" wide. Just a skid of trash. I'd see about picking it up local so you can see what you are getting before you pay.

Good Luck,

John

Kenny,
    I tried that route once. The skid was all rotted junk. The wood they are sending out is all old skidding material that has been broken down.

just junk

Junk wood from LL

Chris & John

Thanks for the info. looks like I'll go with some #1 common from one of the local suppliers. 300 BF for $50 was just too good to be true, but I thought it was worth asking since I'm sure someone else saw this also.

- Kenny

Try the Unfinished - Utility - Oak

From their website, http://www.lumberliquidators.com/shopping/add.asp?product_id=199 ,try:

Oak - OA3U
    $1.19/sq. ft.

Unfinished - Utility - Oak

Oak 3 1/4" Utility

It includes cutoffs with knots, spalding and other defects not suitable for finished wood floors. The good part about is there should be some 36" to 60" boards with only thing wrong is the tongues and/or the grooves had a knot or was splintered such as to be unusable. I took 1 1/2 bundles to build my workbench. It is made with boards on the top and bottom of a torsion box, 5 x 2 ft. or 20 bf for $40. Let me know if you can find milled oak in our area for $2/bf.

It is usually "on sale" locally for $0.99/sq. ft., Call around, the stores that stock them usaully sell out by Friday.

#1 common ain't bad either

Jim

Funny you metioned that. In my original estimates I had planned for buying #1 common in
    2 1/4 @ $2.29 for rails & stiles
    3 1/4 @ $2.66 for 1 1/4" boards (get two 1 1/2"-1/8 boards after cut)
    4 @ $ 2.89 for 3/4" boards (get 4 1"-1/8 boards after cut)

Not a bad way to go. I don't really mind having the bottoms of the floors show on the inside of the cabinets. Having the T&G is kinda nice also for the rails and stiles.

Get this though... I found some 4/4 walnut at Groff's lumber for $1.75 BF. Also, there's some Red Oak from Simmi Agin for $2.50, but he can't plane it so that doesn't help me, since I don't have a planer.

I've seen the utility oak. It looked a little too beat up. The #1 ain't bad at all though. I used it mixed #1 and select 2 1/4 and 3 1/4 for new floors in our souf philly row home.

Here's some picks from the back room renovation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/puddinc...g/sets/589619/