Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lumber storage- vertical or horizontal?

Quote Originally Posted by tim walker View Post
    Matt, why the plywood sheet on bottom? About to start fitting out shop and just curious.
    Being an old thread, Matt may or may not reply. But my guess is the plywood on the ground is somewhat of a moisture barrier, as that looks to be bare concrete. End grain on concrete can wick moisture from the concrete.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I bunks get stacked as high as I can stack them.
    I have a cantilever two sided rack for small/short run stuff to go on. My culls, rips, small quantity left overs gets stored vertically. Once every 3 months I toss the junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Being an old thread, Matt may or may not reply. But my guess is the plywood on the ground is somewhat of a moisture barrier, as that looks to be bare concrete. End grain on concrete can wick moisture from the concrete.
    That's correct. It separates the material from the floor but it also (should) have an angle complementary to the wall side structure that supports the material so that it will not slide away from the supports.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...