Thread: Broke a blade on the Bandsaw today... KAPOW!!

Broke a blade on the Bandsaw today... KAPOW!!

Broke a blade and it was pretty exciting!!
    I'd been cutting some green Black Locust and just getting ready to start on the last log. I walked around the back of the saw while it was running and BANG!!
    I can't remember if I've broken a blade before but if I did it was on the little 14" Delta and it wasn't much to talk about. This was a 1" blade on my MM16 (Late gloat).
    As you can see in the pics it got pretty bent up... is this normal? It looks like the break happened just as it was nearing the top wheel and went straight up and jammed in the top corner and the inertia bent the rest of it.
    Another bit of respect for big tools has been gained...

BS1.jpgBS2.jpgBS3.jpg
    Last edited by Gary Chester; 04-23-2017 at 5:52 PM.
    Now that's funny right there... I don't care who you are...
    (Larry the Cable Guy)

Any tool can be the right tool
    (Red Green)

Photo link no workie.

Fixed... I think...
    Now that's funny right there... I don't care who you are...
    (Larry the Cable Guy)

Any tool can be the right tool
    (Red Green)

couple of years ago i did that on the same saw and same blade. VERY XCITING. not sure where it broke but glad the doors were closed and the blade guard was down.
    jerry
    jerry

I was told that after a big flood one of the redwood saw mills in northern California got flooded. This caused some bandsaw blades to be tied up in knots in the basement. since these were big blades like 1X50 Feet the only safe things was to pour concrete over them.
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    We tend to take our band saw's casually, I do on occasion. There is a lot of energy in those blades with all the teeth.

I think one of the worst things to do is to get your fingers too close to the blade. I've experienced the blade coming off.
    I've also experienced the bottom guide falling off.

I've become a bit fearful of it, just enough to be careful.

Yea...that's sometimes very much an "underwear changing" experience when a blade lets go!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Happened to me a a tradeshow one time many years ago, demonstrating that same saw. Never saw so many folks, who didn't look like regular runners, run away so fluidly. I thought someone had shot at me! and I tucked and rolled.
    It is easier to be imperfect and plan for it, than to try to be perfect and swear at it.

9. I also had my first ever blade snap yesterday. 1/4" blade on my 14" jet. It was a pretty new blade and it broke right on the weld.