Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Van huskey. Delta. 28-653

Van huskey. Delta. 28-653

I am getting this monster tmrw. I just read that it's 1350 lbs. is this correct. Also. What do you know about it. It's a monster. That's all I know.

what is it, why did you buy one if you do not even know what kind of tool it is? are you sure it is for wood and not for metal. Delta did make some metal working machines. lathes come to mind. I do not think they ever made metal working planers or shapers.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    what is it, why did you buy one if you do not even know what kind of tool it is? are you sure it is for wood and not for metal. Delta did make some metal working machines. lathes come to mind. I do not think they ever made metal working planers or shapers.
    Bill
    Delta 28-653 20IN Wood / Non-Ferrous Cutting Band Saw.

I know exactly what it is. It's a massive delta bandsaw 20". But very stout and industrial. What I am asking is, Is it really 1350 lbs. And what is the overall thoughts of this saw.

My 20" PM is 1000lbs if that helps. Model 2013 (which btw, might be the worst model number choice ever for searching the Internet as most results are dates from 2013). It would have to have a decent amount of cast iron in it (obviously other than the table) or heavier gauge steel to be 350 lbs heavier than mine. I hope you've planned out how to move it.

Bill. Next time I will PM you first. Lol. Not sure if you know. But van husky is the resident bandsaw guru here. So I normally just run bandsaws by him, and to get his attention. I put his name and the saw in the title page. This is a website for helping and learning. And he helps me alot. I'm not quite sure why you would waste so much time typing in a paragraph on how my "etiquette" for making a post is not correct. So I will try to be better next time. Sam

My 1991 catalog shows the USA-made 28-653 as having a shipping weight of 786 LBS so figure roughly 700 lbs net weight. Keep this in mind the next time you read something from that same source that gave you the 1350 lb. figure.

It was actually "industrial machinery.com". That is where it was posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Well I looked it up and I found a flight from Atlanta to Ashville NC. To me a post title with no word on the subject is confusing and not much use in future years for searchers.
    Good Heavens. This is a woodworking site not a travel site. Delta 28-653 is MORE than enough information for future woodworkers. If not, maybe they need to take a trip.

Home depot has a jet 20 bandsaw they says weighs 588 pounds and standard shipping charges apply? So I would guess the 700 pounds sounds more likely. Any welded 20" bandsaw will probably be under 900 pounds. A older cast iron one could easily be 1500 pounds. Especially if it is a cast iron direct drive motor.
    Bill

I have one, what d you want to know?

Larry. Are you happy with it. Any problems.

The seven hundred pound number sounds about right seriously doubt it is 1300. I have had mine for 20 years and it has not broken in that time. Does not get a ton of use in my shop, mostly rough cutting curves for pattern work which it does just fine.

Have not used it for extreme resawing, just 6"ish stuff with a 1" carbide, and it has done that well.

I recently blew an original tire and replaced with Carter with the filler strip that they sell for the groove in the wheel. This has created a problem, there is not enough adjustment in the thing for proper tension of larger blades now as the Carter tires are way thinner, like an 1/8" thinner. as bad as the price is for Deltas I figure it is Carter that ripped me off here. I was going to order their guides, but the heck with them. They say they do not need to be glued on, and I found that is not true. I will be ordering some originals one day when I get time.

The metal blade guides work ok, and you have to add or subtract the number of plates according to the blade you are using, not really a big deal for me as I seldom change blades.

I think with some proper tuning it could be a good bandsaw, but probably never a great one. Mine does what I want it for just fine.

Oh ya, I knew exactly what you were talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Beagle View Post
    It was actually "industrial machinery.com". That is where it was posted.
    I think they tend to over rate 20 inch band saws because they do not want tog et burned on shipping quotes. My Powermatic 87 Wood/metal 20 inch weighs about 1300IIRC, It does not move around much in my shop.

Thanks. Much appreciated. I just have wanted a big bandsaw like this for awhile. I also have a minimax for more intricate stuff. But I wanna use this monster for bowl blanks and such. The price is really good. (600.00)