Thread: Need source for universal flatters (or flatteners) paste for WB clearcoats

Need source for universal flatters (or flatteners) paste for WB clearcoats

Title says it all. I'd like to be able to adjust the sheen of the WB clearcoats I use when I need to custom match a finish. Mohawk makes one for their own WB products, but I don't know if it can be used with other WB products. I know I've seen one by another company, but I can't seem to find it again. So if you know who makes a universal flatters paste for WB finishes, I'd really appreciate it if you would point me to them.

John

This is an indirect lead, but you might call Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing to inquire. Homestead does offer a flattening agent for shellac. The web site says "This liquid flatting agent cuts down the gloss of shellac when it dries. This product is made expressly for shellac from amorphous silica and alcohol." Read literally, that would say that it won't work with waterborne finishes. On the other hand, alcohol mixes with water, so maybe this product could be used with waterbornes. And even if this product doesn't work with waterbornes, Jeff clearly understands what you're looking for, and might have a suggestion.

John, most industrial paint manufacturers supply a universal product. They are usually finely ground silica. Some are liquid but some are powder form. Over here I can get what I need from Hichem, Dulux, and PPG. PPG own Ameron which is a US brand. I don't know about the others. I do know that they work but the paint reps do an excellent Pontius Pilate impersonation when selling it. Cheers

John,
    check this page http://www.hoodfinishing.com/HYDROCOTE_finishes.html
    they have

HYDROCOTE® FLATTING COMPOUND
    Excellent flatting compound for use with the clear and
    pigmented
    HYDROCOTE® Finishes
    . The flatting compound
    allows control of finished sheen by adding prescribed amount to the finish prior to application. Follow label directions for best results.
    91890 Quart $12.95
    91891 Gallon $24.95

Thanks very much Yuri. I knew I had seen one from some company but couldn't remember which company. This is it. I'm going to give it a try.

Wayne, I had no luck with any of your suggestions; maybe it's a US thing or maybe you have to have a commercial account. Sadly, there are many great products that only pro shops have access to, leaving us amateurs with fewer choices, usually at higher prices, or sometimes no choice at any price. Thanks for your effort nevertheless.

John

Yes I never know whether what I can get is available elsewhere. Yuri's lead is the same type of product by the look of it. Cheers

As a general source, Cab-O-Sil works great for satin sheen since it is silica as well. Its normally used as a thixotropic agent in PE gelcoats and epoxies - a great material to have if you want to thicken any polymer to keep it from dripping or running, and then if you add enough it becomes a wonderful putty consistency. Use much less of a percentage, it will make any gloss clearcoat dry to a satin sheen. The flattening agents mentioned above are better though, as the glass is ground coarser.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.