Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by julian abram View Post
    Malcolm, it's none of my business but out of idol curiosity, how big was your friends sailboat? I would guess the smaller the boat the larger the adventure would be.
    His recent trip around the marble was in an Amphitrite 43' and the prior two was I believe a 38'. As for small boats versus big boats, I wouldn't want anything larger than a 45' (with a few exceptions because of nice designs) because of the cost of dockage, maneuverability, complicated handling, and other factors. I always say, "When the big boat sinks, what do people do? They get in the small boats." Small boats are safer.

You can read all about his adventures in his many books.
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tty+Goodlander
    start with "Chasing the Horizon" and "Sea Dogs, Clowns, and Gypsies." Many of the characters in those books showed up at the party. It was quite a collection of folks. I won't post pictures because some of them may or may not have told their parole officers they were going. :-)

The veneer is about 1/4-5/32" thick curly maple I sliced and matched.
    Its not easy to detect the edge as I rounded the curly maples face to give it a little more visual interest, at the edge it is maybe a 1/6" thick. Rounding was done with hand planes and sanding.

Finish process:
    - clear shellac tinted with vintage maple dye from Transtint.
    - sanded with 220 to remove most of the shellac, minus what is in the curl.
    - about 8 coats of Waterlox finish.

The dye will be more heavily absorbed in the curl darkening it. Sanding assures maximum contrast between the natural wood and the curl. The trick is getting the balance just right - bring out the curl without drawing attention to the dye.

I have to make about 10 drawers for my bench, all with curly maple fronts.

ViseClose.jpg Vise_Full.jpg