Thread: Mark St.Leger in Knoxville, TN

Mark St.Leger in Knoxville, TN

I was fortunate to be able to attend a day-long demo then a hands-on workshop this past weekend. It was most excellent!

Mark is an incredibly clever, entertaining, patient, and knowledgeable teacher and yesterday was no exception. One of his demos or classes would be WELL worth the time if you get the chance.

StLeger_s_IMG_20170423_161607_771.jpg StLeger_s_IMG_20170423_161654_833.jpg

He has some great turning instructions on his web site if anyone is interested.
    http://www.markstleger.com/

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 04-24-2017 at 7:40 PM. Reason: clarity

Thanks John.

(Man, I realize he's probably been doing this a lonnng time. But it sure seems like that long beard has potential to get caught in the works.)

So... what kind of things did you learn to turn? Any photos of your work?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Things covered

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    So... what kind of things did you learn to turn? Any photos of your work?
    Mark turns both large and small but he does small for demos and workshops! On Saturday he demoed his off-axis natural-edged Fly House, a three-cornered Rock-a-Bye box (turned from a cube) including how to make wooden collet and multi-axis jam chucks, an Acorn lidded box, and his Baseball sphere box with hand chased threads. Mark made the baseball from ash, almost impossible to thread cleanly, so he demonstrated hand-chasing on a piece of PVC pipe then chased the threads in PVC inserts glued to the ash. He covered hollowing small items with several tool options including the small Hunter carbide tools. He also showed woodburning the baseball stitching with his custom burning tip.

The Sunday class had 10 turners on mini lathes learning and practicing while making a six-point box from a cube of maple. Mark is a joy to be around - calm, soft spoken, very careful in his movements, explains every step so it can be understood by all levels of turners, demonstrates alternative tools and techniques, and always gives the "why" as well as the "what" (and the "what will happen if you...")

I learned a lot including a new use for a round 1/4" skew. And Mark has a wonderful sense of humor. (A "Sense of Humor" was on the list of things to bring for the class!)

I'll get pictures later. I completed turning my project but I'll wait to get a picture after doing some carving and finishing.

BTW, Mark addressed the long beard issue since he said someone ALWAYS brings it up! Not a problem. He tucks the beard into his smock when turning something that could possibly catch. When hollowing he never leans over to peer into the cavity like many turners - he said to give it up and learn to stand comfortably since you are working entirely by feel. You can't see anything inside anyway.

JKJ