Thread: ??????? How to make money in woodworking ??????

Blog Entries

??????? How to make money in woodworking ??????

I was thinking about building a ship model from a kit. In addition to the kit they sell a finished walnut board to mount it on. It's 30" x 4 1/2" x 3/4", about one board foot. Cost was $49.99. I'd like to get the contract for making those boards for them
    Dennis

probably pay the guy eight dollars for it
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

The easiest way to make a small fortune in woodworking, is to start with a large one. A friend used to make a butt ugly table, that a "studio" sold. They sold them, he made and shipped them, and got paid. All made exactly alike. Used to make a few each month.

dennis, this kind of thing is an excellent way to make money in your shop. It doesn't satisfy the personal design and uniqueness need but you can normally set your own hours be your own boss. I've been cranking out consumer items and components full time for 16 years and, although it tends to get monotonous sometimes making 100s at a time, my commute is only down the steps of my house to my shop and, except for when my customer "needs it yesterday", I can work when I want to. Keep your eye out for other such wooden items. They're all over the place when you look.

There was a local guy who made cutting boards that fit over a jenn air grill. He sold to the distributor, because the one the manufacturer offered sucked. He would get NO orders for months, then get an order for thousands and would have to work like a wild man to fill those large orders.