Thread: Chipped IBC Chip-Breaker?

Chipped IBC Chip-Breaker?

Hi All,

I just took my IBC 2 3/8 iron & matching chip-breaker from my 4 1/2 smoothing plane to touch up the edge and I noticed that the leading edge of the chip breaker is chipped! Sorry for the poor zoomed photo but that is all my tablet is able to zoom up on it.

I know it has not been dropped or abused. It appears that the pressure of blade has broken the leading edge off the chip-breaker.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I guess I will just grind if off to make it a smooth leading edge.

regards,
    Phil

chip_break_zoom1.jpgchip_breaker_blade.jpg

Did it ever slide forward so you were trying to cut with the chipbreaker instead of the blade?

Indeed, grind it off and polish it up again. Hopefully it won't happen again.

Blog Entries
    That doesn't look too bad.

A quick touch up on a set of stones should get you back to work in no time.

I would be reluctant to remove much material as it might cause other problems.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

You may want to consider putting a considerably steeper bevel on the chip breaker. I've done that with an LV chip breaker (it didn't have chipping problems). The reasoning behind why I went to a steeper (35 deg.) bevel has to do with bending the shaving more, causing it to break or curl that is supposed to help reduce chip out. This is consistent with keeping the chip breaker close to the edge of the blade. Imagine the angle a Stanley chip breaker presents to the shavingI think there was a discussion here on this point a year or so back.

If you plan to set the chipbreaker close to the edge of the blade to control tearout, then the leading edge needs to be about 50 degrees. This would involve working on it anyway. Plus it will strengthen its edge.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Stanley appear to have used 45 degrees for over a hundred years.

I always hone c/b edges which come to me at 25 degrees. This sentence is not quite clear, I think 25 degrees is a crazy angle!!

best wishes,
    David
    Last edited by david charlesworth; 04-25-2017 at 2:22 PM.