Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ripping hard maple - Woodworker II 40, 30 or 20 teeth?

Ripping hard maple - Woodworker II 40, 30 or 20 teeth?

I have been using a 40 tooth Forrest 10" with my griz table saw for a long time - I think their general purpose blade. I think I was using it for ripping as well - for rails and stiles no longer than for cabinets - and raised panels.

I have a lot of baseboard and entry molding to do now, so I will be finish ripping 7'-8' long boards - 2.5" wide molding. I am wondering if since it's hard maple, should I just stick with my 40 tooth WW10407125 or should I switch to a 20 or 30 tooth Forrest ripping blade?

With something like really hard wood - is it better to stick with a general purpose or cross cut blade?

Thanks for any advice.

Think you'll get different opinions on this as I know some people use a combi blade for everything. For Hard Maple, especially when ripping a lot of it, I would switch to a ripping blade. Unless you are locked into Forrest for some reason, there are a lot of other excellent brands out there that cost less.

I'm guessing you have a lot of Hard Maple if you are using it for baseboards and entry molding - I would normally go for something cheaper :-)

a combo blade will work but not as well for ripping as a blade made just for that single purpose - hard to tell if what you want to do is going to work OK as it depends on how hard the wood (hard maple is pretty dang hard), how thick & how big a motor on your TS.

you said you had a lot to do and to me that justify's a rip blade - but if you have a 5hp TS and it is only 4/4 then it really does not matter

The thickness of the maple you are ripping will matter a bit here. Sounds like most of it is in the 3/4" realm, then your combo blade might be all right.

However, you might try a 20-30 tooth ripping blade and see what you think. One trick I've found with ripping blades: push them through a bit harder/faster than you're used to and you'll get better results and less burning...typically.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    Think you'll get different opinions on this as I know some people use a combi blade for everything. For Hard Maple, especially when ripping a lot of it, I would switch to a ripping blade. Unless you are locked into Forrest for some reason, there are a lot of other excellent brands out there that cost less.

I'm guessing you have a lot of Hard Maple if you are using it for baseboards and entry molding - I would normally go for something cheaper :-)
    My 1955 home is filled with Honduran Mahagony baseboard and entry molding ;-)

As far as ripping hard maple-- I ripped a bunch of 8/4 hard maple using a 40t combo blade with a 1.5HP Ridgid R4512 saw. Bogged down a bit but did the job. In retrospect I might have changed to a ripping blade.

If I were ripping 3/4" or thinner, then I would not hesitate to use that blade. I would only change it if I noticed burning.

Oh sorry....my table saw is a G1023SL Grizzly, and I am ripping mainly 4/4 hard maple...

The 40-tooth WW II will work to rip 3/4" hard maple. I use one for that frequently. However, if your push-through speed is a little slow, there could be some edge burning. A 30-tooth WW II will work very well.

My 3 hp Unisaw has the 40-T WW II on most of the time. If I'm going to rip more than a few boards I don't hesitate to change to a Freud glue line rip. Easier on the saw motor, the operator, and gives a better cut. Same time I put the rip blade on I also put the splitter back on. Most boards cut fine without the splitter, but there will be that one board that has tension and with maple a burned edge is the result.
    Larry

If you use a purpose built rip blade you will be surprised at how much easier it is to push the stock through the blade. The surface will be rougher but you will be able to push faster and avoid the burning you can get with ripping some woods with a combo blade. This is because you can keep the wood moving to avoid building up too much heat.

If you have a lot of material to rip you'll find it a lot easier with something like a 24T rip blade, your saw will thank you also.

Blog Entries
    For 3/4" maple the 40 tooth blade should do OK. As stated, if burning is a problem a lower tooth count should solve that. Lower tooth count also makes the feed easier / faster. Lucky you, a 24 tooth rip blade is one of the cutters that can be had at a high quality level without a very high price.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Generally speaking for hardwood, use a rip blade if you're ripping all day long and a cross cut blade if you're crosscutting all day long, otherwise use a sharp, quality combo blade and just slow down a bit. I hate changing blades every other cut, just my 2cts.

Your 40 tooth blade will do it, but a dedicated rip blade will do it easier. If you've got the extra $$$$ lying about, go for the dedicated rip.

It doesn't have to be a Forrest rip blade, but that's up to you.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    The thickness of the maple you are ripping will matter a bit here. Sounds like most of it is in the 3/4" realm, then your combo blade might be all right.

However, you might try a 20-30 tooth ripping blade and see what you think. One trick I've found with ripping blades: push them through a bit harder/faster than you're used to and you'll get better results and less burning...typically.
    I would check the saw alignment if you are getting burning if you cut slowly. A well tuned saw should not leave burn marks. I recently replaced my thin kerf ripping blade with a full kerf Freud Glue Line rip blade and could barely believe the improvement in cutting. On my 1-1/2 Hp saw I can easily cut through red, oak, maple, walnut, cherry or poplar with no problems and get a better quality cut.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-24-2017 at 6:55 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute