Thread: Tage Frid Workbench ...Modify or Not Modify?

Tage Frid Workbench ...Modify or Not Modify?

In the 80s I made a Danish workbench like Tage Frid’s from the plans I found in FWW (w/o the tool tray). It has served me well over the years, but like most of us, my shop space is limited. I have the bench positioned in a way the makes the shoulder vise stick out into a walkway creating a “hip banger”. I was considering modifying the bench to make is more like the type sold on the Lie Nielsen site. I would square off the shoulder vise end of the bench, repositioning the leg and incorporating a LN chain drive shoulder vise. I find I use the original tail vise all the time on the bench but the Danish shoulder vise has not been that useful for me. I do most of my jointing on the jointer and if I use the shoulder vise for cutting dovetails the vise handle and design just seem to be in my way.
    I guess my dilemma is whether to just build a new workbench and sell the Frid bench or modify the existing classic bench… which seems a shame. Just interested in hearing your thoughts.

Blog Entries
    If it were mine the shoulder vise would have been long gone. For some reason their alleged advantage has just not presented itself to me.

To my thinking a vise should allow a continuous piece of wood to flow through. A shoulder vise seems to put a limit on the length that can be held beyond the vise.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Jim, I assume the Danish were using that type of vise to their advantage for the way they worked. I assume for long boards they would trap one end with the shoulder vise and use a slave or slaves go hold up the other end of infinite length. With this type of vise you can pass a very wide board all the way through without the bars getting in the way. There is also a swivel to front jaw allowing tapers to be held. Anyway these are not advantages for the way I work, or I have other ways to deal with the needs. Thanks for your input.

Hi Mark, I have built a modified version of the Tage Frid bench, but modified at the tail vise/leg end. I wonder how wide your shoulder vise will go? One reason to build the shoulder vise is holding drawers so you can plane the edges to fit, they tuck into the end and don't move. The unrestricted vertical holding is very appealing, you can hold a door on edge using most of the bench. The standard front vise won't do that. My shoulder vise opens a touch over 7". If your work does not need those features it is a shame to modify it but how much would it fetch? I think it would be worth less after modification. I would never want a chain drive double vise and many on here have commented after getting one they literally never use it. There are many issues with them. If you could stop walking into it you might feel less like chopping it off!

The shoulder vise will open to a 6-3/8". The front jaw is 10-1/2 long and 5" tall. You have a point with the drawers. Thanks for the thoughtful input. Here is a pic of the passage in front of the bench.

IMG_1646.jpg

That's a classic! Seems you have some spare thread, it could have been 7". Fung the other Shway? Twist the bench clockwise 10"?
    I have the same 5" apron and 10" jaw.
    Tage Frid's students used to build their bench in the first WEEK!!

Hmmm... Mine took a lot longer

Mine also.........

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R Webster View Post
    In the 80s I made a Danish workbench like Tage Frid’s from the plans I found in FWW (w/o the tool tray).

Mark, that mirrors my experience; I built my bench around 1982 and also left out the tool tray. I like the shoulder vise but there's no reason you couldn't modify your bench to accept a front mounting vise.

Thanks Frank, I like the bench in general