Thread: Outdoor Kids Play Tables

Outdoor Kids Play Tables

Hi All.

I've been asked by my daughter's preschool to make a pair of outdoor play tables. The tables will be ~36" on a side. One has a 3x3 grid tile top of nominal 12" tiles (actual 11 5/8") and the other will have the same basic layout but will not have the grid. Instead table #2 will be an elevated box that will have a few inches of sand for the kids to play in.

I have some 2x6 WRC that I plan to use for the project. The WRC will be taken down to 1 3/8" so get it true and square.

Not to be stingy with the school, but I do need to minimize time invested since I've got a handful of little ones needing my attention.

That being said I hastily put together the plan below. I was thinking to rely on butt joints with screws (2 5/8" stainless) through the whole project. Corner blocks would be added at the corners of the "tops" of the tables. But now I am now I am second guessing myself thinking that may not be the best option, since these tables are bound to see some hard times...

Unfortunately I have already rough cut the wood to size, so switching to a method of joinery that requires full overlap at the ends of the board would require me get more lumber.

So... Would screws in endgrain work well enough here? Other things that have crossed my mind are using 1/2" dowels or adding cross grain dowels to the endgrain pieces and driving the screws through those to get a better hold.

Any feedback is appreciated.

TIA

KidsTableGrab.JPG

Glue and screws will be ok but your screws are a bit light on. Use 3" stainless batten screws or similar. (Batten screws are about 14 gauge with a countersunk head and Allen socket drive. Their designed use is fixing roof battens prior to sheeting.) Also make sure the tops are fully supported with rails. The load will be heavy. Cheers

Thanks Wayne. That's quite a screw..!

I didn't realize how heavy the load would be, especially with the elevated "sandbox" table. That amount of sand will weigh ~200lbs when dry.