Thread: Poly over white paint?

Poly over white paint?

I have a customer that requested a key hook for her house similar to the picture below. I have the board stained already, but I'm wondering how I would finish it in regards to the wording and some sort of poly/clear coating.

First, what type of paint would I use for the wording and the paw print? I was originally thinking a standard, flat white latex paint, then coat everything in poly, but I'm worried that the paint would yellow.

Do I poly first, then paint the words on? Would the paint be fine on it's own over the poly? or do I paint the words first, then poly or some other type of clear over it and hope the paint doesn't turn yellow?

Or am I over-thinking this? lol

985fec5fe9a9c86b2e9e9f2b81e3005f.jpg

I normally stick to whatever the stain's base is to avoid issues - if its water then a water based paint and poly would work. Oil based follow the same pattern. A good quality clear poly should not yellow the white paint. If in doubt, I've used General Finishes Milk Paint and their water borne clear finish High Performance (which has a UV stabilizer) so I know those would work together

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    I normally stick to whatever the stain's base is to avoid issues - if its water then a water based paint and poly would work. Oil based follow the same pattern. A good quality clear poly should not yellow the white paint. If in doubt, I've used General Finishes Milk Paint and their water borne clear finish High Performance (which has a UV stabilizer) so I know those would work together
    I used standard Minwax stain, so I'll have to pick up some oil based paint then. Would Arm-R-Seal turn yellow? I also have Minwax "Oil-modified" poly, but isn't that still water based?

What about clear shellac over the paint, would that work?

I think you are not getting a lot of replies because we don't see the perils. It's a novelty interior item on rough wood,just try to find out exactly what they want in the way of color etc.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 04-24-2017 at 8:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knitter View Post
    I used standard Minwax stain, so I'll have to pick up some oil based paint then. Would Arm-R-Seal turn yellow? I also have Minwax "Oil-modified" poly, but isn't that still water based?
    Almost any oil based clear product is going to provide some level of amber tone...it's the nature of oil. But what you can do is put a barrier coat of de-waxed shellac (brushed Zinsser Sealcoat or the shellac in a spray can from the same manufacturer) over the Minwax pigment stain to provide a good surface for subsequent work. Do your art with flat white paint (can be acrylic art colors, latex, whatever) and then top coat with a water borne clear finish with the sheen you desire...the readily available Minwax Polycrylic will work fine for this and will not affect color substantially.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Min wax poly will definitely yellow the white paint some. I tested it myself over white paint. I also test a spar urethane over white paint. Even more yellowness.

What would work is a good white paint over the poly. It will stay white.

Are you sure the wording and paw print are painted? It looks to me like it could be applied vinyl, which you could apply over the poly. Another thing that crafters like to do is cut out the letters and graphics, attach with some spray glue and then mod podge over the entire thing. They call this decoupage. The first time I heard this I winced, but it looks surprisingly good although it may not be the look you're going for.