Thread: Painting a baby toy

Question Painting a baby toy

I've been researching this here and on the web in general but have found a wide range of information and I'm kind of under the gun, time-wise. I'm making a baby gift (it's a small toy) and need to paint it. I'm far from a finish expert but I know even less about paint. I prefer wood grain but for reasons not worth going into, it has to be paint. So I'm trying to find a safe paint and finish combination for something that a baby might handle or gnaw on. My research has led to acrylic paint with shellac as a sealant, among other suggestions.

So here are my questions:

Is this the best combination?
    Is spray shellac OK? If so, will it go bad over time? I have a can from a previous project but it's been around for a while.
    Should I wax it with paste wax after shellac? I think I saw this suggested.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. By the way, the baby is a long way from being old enough to play with it, so time for curing isn't an issue.

This is a quandry, From a strict legal point oo view. There is no feasible way to paint items for children since the law would require third party lab testing of a completed sample. Shellac is good over time, but subject to damage from alkaline cleaners and water. It would be safe, if not legal. Other clear finishes would also be safe when cured, but also not legal and subject to greater questioning about safety. The pigment in paint has more questions about toxicity, but. given the law, I don't know if you can find paint labeled for children's toys.

For this state of affairs blame toy makers in China selling toys with lead content. Big manufacturers can absorb the testing costs, but not so individuals or small companies. No there is not an exemption for small makers or grandparents, other than the small likelihood of any legal enforcement.

If you are making a gift for someone you know the practical answer is buy your paint in the USA. I like rustoleum Painters Touch over Bin primer.

Acrylic paint with shellac should be fine. I would use it on something for my grandchildren. Have you considered milk paint? Test your old rattle can before you use it on a project to make sure it dries properly.